The steering column is a long housing that contains the steering shaft, which connects the steering wheel to the steering gearbox, or steering rack. The steering column is also where the steering wheel accessories are contained.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Excessive steering movement up and down or sideways
- Abnormal noise from inside column when turning
Related Repair Advice
- A vibration felt in the steering wheel is commonly caused by a problem in the front of the vehicle. A vibration while driving is generally a tire balance issue. A vibration while braking usually indicates a brake rotor problem.
- Failed components inside the steering column can almost always be replaced without replacing the entire steering column assembly
- Theft and accident damage are probably the most common reasons a steering column would require repair