The flex plate is a stamped metal disk that mounts the torque converter to the rear of the engine’s crankshaft. The flex plate has a ring gear around the circumference to mate with the starter motor.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Knocking or rattling noise from rear of engine
- Abnormal noise when operating engine starter
Related Repair Advice
- If the teeth engaged by the starter motor are damaged, the starter motor should be inspected for damage also
- Loose torque convertor bolts can be misdiagnosed as a cracked flywheel
- In combination, the flex plate and torque convertor mirror the function of the flywheel to smooth out the shock caused by firing cylinders