An exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler is used to cool off the exhaust gases before they are recirculated back into the combustion process. Air or engine coolant can be used to cool the EGR gases.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Check Engine Light may illuminate
- External engine coolant leak
- Internal engine coolant leak resulting in smoke from exhaust
- Emissions failure due to high NOx
Related Repair Advice
- The EGR system should be thoroughly inspected for proper operation if the EGR cooler has been replaced