Reviews for BMW 740iL years:

BMW 740iL Reviews and Owner Comments

BMW 740iLOwner Reviews (57 reviews)
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, June 11, 2014 01:36
    I truly love this car. My '98 740IL is in very light green metallic with chrome factory wheels and is in top shape. I look forward to driving this car. As old as it is, it still turns heads and strikes up conversations with many. Simply one of the best purchases I've made. Love the silky smooth powertrain, the mating of the engine & transmission is excellent. I paid $4,500 for mine 2 years ago with 107K miles. Today it has 127+K and never fails. No leaks, no smoke, runs so smooth. This thing rules the road. The controls on the steering wheel are great. I love the ability to change the suspension from soft to sport at the touch of a button. Audio system is great with 6-disk changer, and I really like the power rear window screen and side window screens. The dual-paned windows muffle outside noises well. My only complaints are the drivers power seat controls are fragile, the glove box lock and handle are fragile. Other than general maintenance, I've had to replace the front oxygen sensors, the outside condenser fan motor for the A/C and both struts that hold up the trunk. The previous owner of my 740IL was an airline pilot and he kept this thing clean and garaged. Super SWEET car. I have no regrets.
  • 1999 BMW 740iL
    Visitor, Chandler, AZ, March 23, 2014 10:20
    Can anyone tell me what to do about my 1999 740 iL. It was running just fine. Started great. No issues. Drove it the other day, parked it over night and the next morning I cant even get it to turn over or click. Put a new battery in it and still the same thing. Called BMW dealer and he said to change the battery. I said I did. Then he said to smack the starter motor with a hammer. It might be stuck. I did and still nothing. I have all lights, computer, everything works but when you turn the key to start it I get nothing. Not a sound. Does anyone out there have an idea how I can get this issue fixed? Please help. Thanks, Kevin from Arizona. kbekemeyer@cox.net HELP!!!!
    brianspinney, Eastport, ME, February 15, 2014 19:32
    i dont no y they make them so hard to work on
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, December 30, 2013 23:36
    I would like to know if anyone has knowledge of how to release the emergency break on a 1995 740 series.
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, October 06, 2013 17:06
    Bought this beauty a couple of years ago. Currently has 138500 miles. Still looks and runs great. I've only had to replace the battery and one tie rod end, and replace the two front tires which it needed when I bought the car.
    Visitor, Sunnyvale, CA, September 07, 2013 00:52
    I love this car. Bought it from an owner more than a year ago by just test drive on freeway and I did not check anything. Fortunately, everything works. Just had to replace cats 3 months ago. Found after market and all cost just over $ 400. Very smooth, very fast acceleration. Just close the windows, turn on aircon and drive it on the freeway,I feel like I am a president.
    Visitor, Jackson, NJ, August 26, 2013 16:14
    To those who wrote (POS)? Obviously your experience is based on how well you take care of your own car or how much abuse it will take from you. If you bought a BMW Used and not certified or thoroughly reviewed and checked out, then who is the POS? You simply bought someone Else's abused headache. The E38 is one of the best cars ever built. I owned 3 bimmers in my life and all different models. I like to maintain what I can and know when I can't. The ingenuity of this car can not be beat. Anyone who compares the nightmare of a Mercedes to a BMW, obviously does not know much about cars. I had a Benz, and never again. Fuse system based on left side and right side? Ludicrous! What is up with the gap in the gas pedal? Do they still do that? Here are some facts on my (E38) BMW 740iL, which is not garage kept at 220,000 miles and 15 years on the east coast of winter cold and summer hot sun. Original parts still with me: no dashboard or leather seat cracks, complete muffler system, engine, paint, BMW rims, interior, drive shaft, transmission, power windows, audio system, power seats & heating units in seats & mirrors, never had a tune up and no squeaks. All running well, awesome idle and smooth riding. There is a ton I didn't mention.. Parts that were changed: radiator, valley Pan, 3 sets of tires, oil at least 3-4 times a year, cabin filters under hood and under dash twice, oil air filter 3 times, brakes front and rear 4 times, air conditioner second fan, idler arms, ball joints, water pump & serpentine belt. I'd like to see your car at 220k.. You can find my Black Beauty on most Bimmer Boards..
    abugsy1, Audubon, NJ, March 22, 2013 08:26
    i bought this 2001 BMW 740il this year i enjoyed this car. i always get a lot of attention on my beauty. i have over 130,000 miles on it and drives like a new car. i was lucky to get this one because the interior inside is practically brand new. only thing that was broke inside the car was the cup holder i will never use anyway. (too pretty inside to drink in my car)and the driver side controls to move your seat up and back. im talking about the panel is broke not the controls okay! thats minor right. im telling you it's a beauty.the engine compartment is so clean under the hood. i dont what anybody checking my car out because they might touch something wrong. the only thing is that i wanna know where should i get my oil change from. i went to that damn JIFFY LUBE and the didn't know how to open up the hood. can someone tell me where is the best place to get 1 done?
    Visitor, Sugar Loaf, NY, March 05, 2013 10:07
    Best driving car ever BUT. You shouldn't defend a manufacturer that can't make a reliable car. Have spent tons on starters, new radiator, lots more. Eats batteries like popcorn. Don't ever buy this car. If you want one, lease and release and then never more that 36 months. Brakes, tires all are outrageous. Go with a Japanese vehicle. NEVER buy one of these. On a positive note..everytime you repair it you want to kill yourself. But when you drive into a tree you come out unharmed. :)
    Sea Knight Driver, Eastpointe, MI, January 01, 2013 05:39
    I have the 740i and absolutely love the car. Granted,I've put a good amount of money into it but I've never regretted spending one single dime. The Basket Weave Wheeels were gone 2 weeks after I bought it and replaced with 19" Style 95 spokes from a 96' 7 Series. I get compliments every where I go and a few offers to buy it on the spot. I bought it with 102,000 miles on it and fully expected to have some issues. The Radiator and expansion tank were replaced at 150K along with the alternator, water pump and drive belts. Next were the Power Steering Hoses. The timing chains (elective) were done at 164K along with the trans (slipping)- both at the same time for $6000. Front Suspension (elective) at 168K, Fuel Filter and OSV @ 170,000. I've ungraded the Nav to the MKIV (save your money on that one). The Body integrity, exterior and interior fit and finish are flawless and it's a dream on the highway. While I don't have a car payment and average out the repair cost per year, it's about $120.00 per month to own - Tell me what new car of this quality that you can buy today for that little. Keep in mind, the car is 12 years old - I'd buy another one in a city minute.
    Visitor, Northfield, NJ, October 06, 2012 17:29
    I really like this car. I have owned it for 2 years and while it has not been trouble free, I have a good BMW mechanic and I order my own parts from ebay and the cost to maintain the car hasn't been to bad. I get 18-25 MPG, the car runs so smooth that I have had people put their hand on the running engine and swear they couldn't feel it. I have replaced all the normal wear items, Battery, plugs, tires, etc along with a power steering pump, power steering Hose, OSV (PCV VALVE) and gaskets. Nothing I haven't done on any other used car with over 140K. Car is a joy to drive on the open road and it is whisper quiet. It is a 12 year old car and as long as I keep it up, I think it will run forever. Car does have little thigs that can get on your nerves, like window regulators that go bad, and they all do. Had to replace all four. I don't use the cup holders because they are pretty fragile and I don't trust them. If you change the oil and use the recomended fluids, these cars wil go on & on without any major problems. Let BMW tell you you don't have to service your transmission and you will be replacing it. I Love the car and recommend it to someone who wants a really nice car and who will take the time to take care if it and not think that because it is a BMW you don't need to do anything. It will take you to the poor house if you don't stay on top of maintenance. They look great and I always have people say how they like the style even at the dealership, they are amazed at how nice the car runs and looks for it's age. You just have to take care of the car and it will take car of you.
    Visitor, Kings Park, NY, September 19, 2012 11:51
    I own a 1997 740IL. I purchased it in 2006. The car is a great piece of machinery, but when it is time to repair.......it cost $$$! I have since changed my entire suspension (struts, mounts, rubbers, ball joints, centerlink, etc) front & rear. I've also changed my entire power steering system, (hoses & lines), replaced my radiator, replaced EWS, and a brand new ignition with a full key set. The car is running lovely!! I have 2 things left to repair. Catalytic Converters and an oil leak from my Timing Cover gasket. After these 2 things are done, the car will be practically brand new! I figure I'll change the timing chain and spark plugs, when getting the oil leak repaired. All in all, the money spent is worth it! My car will last another 10 yrs! BMW is definitely the Ultimate Driving Machine!!!!
    Visitor, Julian, CA, September 07, 2012 13:46
    Love this Machine,willing to sell for$6500 or Barter for what ever you got to exchange. iam a pilot so even airplanes work.
    dkoleys, Baton Rouge, LA, June 24, 2012 21:15
    i have a 1996 BMW 740IL the trunk is stuck and a key will turn completely around failing to catch or even attempt to open the trunk...I would like to know what will I need to get this trunk open? Thanks...
    Visitor, Palatine, IL, June 11, 2012 15:26
    CANT GET THE RADIO TO TURN ON AND THE AC WONT WORK.
    Visitor, Montgomery, AL, April 30, 2012 10:46
    My 1998bmw740il kills at idle after being driven for about 15 minutes. Starts back up. Runs great on the open road.The crankshaft engine sensor & thermostat sensor have both been replaced. Also the mass air flow sensor.What could be the problem?
    Visitor, Seminole, FL, April 24, 2012 12:33
    Its a BMW..... What are you bitches all crying about? Its a BWM.... It WILL Be expensive to fix and Maintain! Hello???? Its a BMW not a kia...... They are expensive and cost money!!
    couch, San Bruno, CA, March 29, 2012 21:26
    interior how to replace a door window like to do it my self to save $ i love this car very confortable and has the best sound system ever hear on a car, any help will be apreciatred thanks
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, January 27, 2012 16:55
    how much it cost to get the ECU installed
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, October 22, 2011 21:18
    I purchased a 97 740IL in August of "2010" all I can tell you is I put 8k in repairs sensors, power steering, radiator, hoses,a.c. etc. I thought I had it licked. Then leaving the gym I cracked my motor oil spilled all out in the street. I spent $4500 3months ago and put a new motor in my car thought I had this thing licked. Well last month I dropped my drive line $900 repair. Listen and listen good this is a incredible car to drive and the looks are stunning. But, most of the pictures I have of my car are of it in the shop point blank period. I own a dodge 1500 that happens to be a "97" also that drives circles around my bmw and is cheap to repair. I once owned the worst car ever made the Audi 5000s and Im starting to see a lot of the same similarities. Be warned by this car if you like to spend time and money on repairs and head aches. Nate. C
    Visitor, Lawrence, NY, October 15, 2011 17:42
    I bought this car off ebay and thought it was god deal. Boy was i wrong. i have already put 3k into the car just with the steering issues. I mean not for nothing, it has 169k miles on it. So it has been around the block. But you know what, i love it. If you do not have the money and the patience to put into this car, then DO NOT BOTHER. SAVE YOUR SELF THE AGGRAVATION. I have no qualms. This is a project car for me. The tranny and other issues are endless. But after it's all done, this car is a beast and easy on the eyes. Faggoudaboutit!! As i said, live within your means. if you dont have the cash, this one is not for you!!
    Visitor, Hemet, CA, September 23, 2011 21:23
    trans programer code refer to owner manner control moduel failer
    Visitor, Dover, DE, August 19, 2011 18:38
    I have tried after-market rims on my car and cannot get a balanced ride. I had the tires professionally balanced twice, but to no avail. I assumed that one of the rims has a problem since the rims were used. However, when I put the original rims back on, there is still vibration at 50-55 mph, the indicator for balance control. What else could be the problem?
    82NCMARINE, San Jose, CA, July 23, 2011 23:29
    I HAVE HAD TWO 740'S AND OTHER THAN ROUTINE MAINTENANCE THERE IS NO BETTER CAR TO OWN! I READ THE PUTDOWNS AND I CAN UNDERSTAND HOW THESE PEOPLE FEEL, BUT YOU GET AT YOU PAY FOR! HOW CAN YOU RATE A CAR THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR SO LONG AND WITH NO SHOW OF WEAKNESS AS A BAD CHOICE? YOU BUY A CAR THAT ONLY HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER DONE OR DIDN'T DO! BOTH OF MINE WERE USED BUT I CAREFULLY CHOSE THEM AS TO THE OWNER AND CONDITION! YOU SPEND $4,800 DOLLARS ON THE FLAGSHIP THAT ALONE SPEAKS VOLUMES! SO I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BMW IN MY GARAGE. THERE ARE SO MANY NEW CARS OUT THERE, YET WITH ALL THE NEW TECHNOLOGY, IT SEEMS ALL THEY CAN DO IS COPY(LEXUS) EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE AND CLAIM IT AS INNOVATIVE! SO SORRY YOU GUYS BOUGHT MISTREATED CARS, BUT IT'S YOUR LOSS!
    Visitor, Palmdale, CA, June 26, 2011 19:46
    Look,BMW has mastered the art of deception with the price of repairs.This is one of the most amazing cars on the road.You have to love driving more than life to appreciate what this machine is capable of......for example,Santa Monica pier to the Antelope valley in 33 mins.Yes 33 mins.top speed 167 MPH.They say the top speed is 145.The price.....look at it like this,I pretty much completely rebuilt mine for under $20,000.Ya sounds like alot but....I have a $75,000 car for a quarter of the price!!!!!!!!.YUP im the guy you seen on any so cal freeway in a black 740 IL going extremely to fast,sorry if i scared you.Catch me if you can.
    Visitor, Germantown, MD, May 14, 2011 16:13
    not so impressive for the money paid. expensive to maintain
    Visitor, Ellington, CT, April 21, 2011 04:59
    I bought my car in late december of 2010. The previous owner drove 62,000 miles over the life of the car. The car was well maintained and driven by his wife. The car looks like it was never driven inside and out. I had the car looked at and did the car fax to check out the service records. I paid 12,500 for the car I have since spent 15,000 on new valves and head gaskets along with a long list of other issues that are more maintence issues and repairs that you would exspect with a 12 year old car. The good news is that the car does drive great and it is solid at this point. The previous owner never drove out of the city in florida and never went over 40 mph. I will pursue the dealership to cover the valves but as for now I have a great ride.
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, March 14, 2011 12:50
    I own a 1997 740IL. I've had it for 6 yrs and I enjoy it! It does cost $$$ when it is time for repair, but it is worth it! My last tune up was in 2006. I've done over 30,000 miles since and you would think I just tuned it up last week! I changed my entire front and rear suspension in 2007 (except shocks/struts), and my ride became even smoother! I recently changed my shocks/struts (front & rear) and my cars feels like brand new! The car is very durable! I live in NYC and the streets are the worst in america! But I could never tell!! LOL!!
    Visitor, Corona, CA, February 14, 2011 19:12
    i just got one, its the most packed car ive ever had its a wonder to drive and a great car overall even though its a little money to fix it, in the long run its worth keepin. The total package no wonder they call it the ultimate driving machine.
    Visitor, Kenosha, WI, February 11, 2011 19:44
    I love this car, just picked it up for less then 6k with only 120k on it...I believe it needs new suspension but other than that I love everything about it so far
    Visitor, Stockton, CA, January 31, 2011 17:55
    Ive had my beemer for about two years and yes as far maintence its expensive! Take it in first sign of problem. But honestly overall rating on the car I LOVE IT no major problems drives like a champ!
    Visitor, Racine, WI, January 27, 2011 00:14
    I just got a 1995 74 IL. Yes i was pushing around a 2006 Pontiac Montana for 4 years, but I went old school and got the "BEEMER" I tell you what, I love this car. It needed a little work (Oxygen Censors Shocks Struts) A little money, but by far the nicest ride i have ever had!!!! will most likely buy all BMW from now on>>>
    Visitor, Camden, ME, January 25, 2011 13:09
    I have a 1996 740il - and it just turned 70,000 miles. I baby this car - only drive it around town and around New England some. I have been lucky - no major expenses - yet. But, I replace things rather preemtively and do some basics myself - plugs, the occasion coils various hoses that may look tired. Not sure what my plan is with this car - but as long it keeps going, I will stick by it. These cars are a dream to drive but, owning - apparently your mileage may vary..........
    kaydahlia, Vinton, VA, December 28, 2010 07:35
    I bought my car used in 2002 and have loved driving it the past 8 years. Like any vehicle, you should keep up the maintenance on it. The only issue I have is that some of the lights on the dash have gone out, so I can't see the temperature outside or set the temperature inside for each side of the car. I figure if it's cold, I'll turn up the heat, if it's cold I'll turn it colder. To replace the module, I was told it would cost $700 from the dealership, but I found a website that said BMW knew that it was an issue and that if you wrote to them, telling them which dealership you were taking it to, BMW would cover the cost, so I may have to try that. I love all the features and comfortability of this car. I would buy another if I knew I wouldn't have all the problems other people have.
  • 1999 BMW 740iL
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, December 28, 2010 06:43
    I have a 99 740iL. I love the look and profile and it is the best driving car I have ever owned. But that is as far as it goes. Repair wise this is the WORSE vehicle I have ever owned. The repairs just keep coming and coming. I do most of the repairs myself but at some point you have to ask yourself is it worth it. It seams like I am having to repair something every month on this car. Parts are very expensive and the labor cost for repairs I don't do myself is even worse. When I purchased this car I paid cash because I did not want to be making monthly payments. Boy was I ever wrong, I have been making monthly repair bill payments from the first day I purchased it. I will NEVER EVER own another BMW.
    daspotts, Pittsburgh, PA, December 09, 2010 18:45
    Hefty repair bills
    Visitor, Perry, MI, December 09, 2010 18:44
    Worst car we have ever owned. I have 20 year old Porsches that I drive daily that are more reliable than this POS. I work on my own cars and after the first couple of wrench sessions you start to see how cheap this car is put together. There is an ABUNDANCE of PLASTIC used everywhere in this engine so expect a new radiator and coolant over flow tank every 40-50k miles. Also the serpentine belt tensioner pullys are plastic and are known for letting go around the 80-90k mark. Then you have your other common issues warped PLASTIC intake manifold, WARPED PLASTIC valley pan, CATs, and CAM postition sensors. We bought are car with 55k on the clock and we have pretty much replaced everything before I finally gave up on it this year and sold it. The alternators are watercooled and will set you back over a grand. This car has a lot of electronics so expect to eat this things for lunch are car went through three from 55k miles to 118k. However this biggest pain in the butt on this car is BMW's POOR attempt at making a MAF sensor. This car will go through MAF's every 2 years nothing you can do about it!! You will also go through cam position sensors as well. At around 100k EXPECT the whole front end to be worn out and need replacing. Don't get me wrong is a fantastic driving machine just poorly engineered with substandard parts. If you don't mind the servicing by all means knock yourself out. Simply put after owning numerous 20 year old Porsches the reliability of this car was a real shocker. Quite funny that my 20+ year old Porsche 928 was more reliable than this and it has over 120k miles. In closing BMW needs to STOP using so MUCH PLASTIC in there engines it just doesn't hold up the heat cycles. If this car didn't have so many stupid seals it would be much more reliable. I'm still trying to figure out the point of a valley pan?? Most V8's don't have them so why put a seal there? Why does the intake manifold come apart in 4 different sections... this just leads to more failure points. All in all fabulous car to look at and drive, horrible car to pay for the repairs.
    Jausan2, Beverly Hills, CA, December 09, 2010 18:44
    This is the absolute worst car I have ever owned. It sits outside on the street due to battery problem the day after getting out of the shop. There are so many problems with the vehicle that they are too numerous to list. One thing to keep in mind, you will always pay for sensors and other devices on the vehicle an expect to pay the equivalent of a car payment every month to keep it on the road.
    yotee1642, Newport News, VA, December 09, 2010 18:43
    Are you kidding me? For a car that looks good, it is just a POS. So many issues, I really don't know where to begin. I really wish I would have read the other comments BEFORE I bought my BMW. I have only had it 30 days, and already, I have had problems with the radiator, suspension, windows, lights, cat converters, and a/c. The cost of these repairs will be more than double what I paid for the car. I can not beleive it. Well, lesson learned. I will just cut my losses and sell it. I refuse to pay for these intial repairs. I can tell by reading other comments, that this will be just the beginning. The best thing about this vehicle will be the tail lights when I see it going down the street with someone else. BUYERS BEWARE
    Visitor, Asheboro, NC, December 09, 2010 18:41
    I just got bought this POS car (2001 BMW 740il). I have owned a older mercedes before (300E), and it was very reliable. Just typical oil changes and brakes, radiator flush, brake flush (all as cheap to do as any other car, the mercedes was a dream really.Had 175K on it, and sold it. Well, I decided I might want a BMW, and went and saw this car. Of course, it is drop dead gorgeous, and I took a little test-drive, It all SEEMED fine. I paid the guy a pretty cheap price, so I thought I got a good deal. WELL, today I took it to the BMW Dealer for a oil change, about an hour later they call me over, Sir, your tie-rods,bushings,ball-joints are shot. Also, you have leaks ALL around the engine. Also, your drain plug is stripped and will need a new pan and plug, gaskets of course. I said, how much to fix it all? How about $4850.00...!!!!!!!!! I said F**K you, I will just re-sell it to the next sucker. I am so pissed, I am just letting it sit in the parking lot, until my title comes in the mail. Of course this doesnt even include the bald tires I need to buy, or the cosmetic trim stuff thats missing around the car. I just want to ram this thing into a tree. I wished I would of read these reviews. I did read some, but they all complained about the sh&%tty navagation, which it is, and the cheap drink - holders that break (and mine are too). It is a Black widow, She has the looks, but when she gets u in her web, she will eat you alive.!! Hate BMW's now forever.!! RUN AWAY from this deadly beast.!!
    Visitor, Carlsbad, CA, December 09, 2010 03:27
    POS car!!!! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY!!!! Unless you have a TON of cash that you can burn! Will most likely never buy a BMW again as a result
    Visitor, Sharpsburg, GA, December 02, 2010 22:34
    BMW stands for Bust My Wallet!
    mribaul, Zachary, LA, November 29, 2010 18:19
    Several people including myself have had radiator and water pump issues. Repair costs are very expensive. My local dealership wanted $1840 for LABOR alone to install a radiator and water pump. Also has some electrical issues as well.
    Visitor, Beverly Hills, CA, November 24, 2010 11:57
    The main problems with the 1994 BMW 740iL are as follows, drinks a lot of gas. 14.7 mpg, battery under rear passneger seat., must replace brake light switch that is covered under a recall.
    Visitor, Egg Harbor Township, NJ, November 24, 2010 11:57
    GOOD CONDITION
    dlovesbmw, Long Beach, CA, November 24, 2010 11:57
    if your watching your pennies u dont even need to be shopping BMW try scion their up the street. 7 series can not be compared, if it makes me a phone call, warms my rear, what did my wife do this morning?
    Visitor, Clinton, MD, November 24, 2010 11:57
    I love this car
    Visitor, Cordova, TN, November 24, 2010 11:57
    I have a 98 740IL- I LOVE IT!!! Yes you are right, not fot the weak, you want weak buy something else, My car is more than efficient! and truly a pleasure to drive, will buy another BMW- love em'
    Visitor, Milwaukee, WI, November 24, 2010 11:56
    I have a 97 740IL and I must say that it runs pretty well. The problem I have with it are the tail lights, the cup holder is broken (cheap), the inside door strips are cheaply made with those clips that are always breaking, the cover to my stereo speaker just fell off and I cannot re-attach it. I do find that some of the fixtures are easy to replace and not as complicated all as many would think. My nemesis with my car is the electrical stuff. Both of my brake lights are out. I've changed the bulbs a numerous amount of times and I've replaced the bulb sockets to no avail. I am thinking about buying new tail lights however, I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue not know if it's the wiring that causing the problem. I've been trying to determine if there's a fuse out however, it's very confusing. I very hesitant to take it to the dealer or my mechanic. It will cost me a s--t load of money for something so simple as popping out a fuse and putting another one. I'm going to keep trying...I'm sure I'll figure it out...hell, I changed the grill myself! I'm also having some major problems passing the emissions test...for a car of this stature and price, this should never be!!
    healey100, Raleigh, NC, November 24, 2010 11:56
    This is my fourth 7 Series BMW. These cars are not for the faint of heart. When they break, it costs, but I have had very good reliability issues from my first in 1985. With only 4 cars in over 25 years, you might say that I have been happy with the car brand and will continue to purchase a 7 series in the future. Find a good mechanic, do the routine maintenance and take the car in at the first sign of a problem. This will save you money and NOTHING rides better than a 7 Series.
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, November 21, 2010 23:31
    I've been driving this car for 7.5 years and I just passed the 150K mileage mark. I'm on my second million miles and have never found a car that compares with its overall driving performance. It eats up mountain driving, hugs the road on corners, and absorbs shocks from our horrible Northern California roads as though they had been newly paved. It will cruise at over 150 mph. At 100 mph, it handles better than any American piece of trash at 60 mph. It truly is a joy to drive. HOWEVER, it is not a joy to pay for its maintenance. I just dropped $4,500 to replace its entire coolant system - it went through two radiators in six months. Dealers' service charges for anything significant are higher than what you can sell the car for. Be prepared to visit your favorite shop often.
    Visitor, Newman, CA, July 13, 2010 13:05
    I have a 1994 74oi well I will just say I did not learn from that and was out of my head whim I hot a 1997 bmw 740il for cars that cost $$$$$$$ its made with cheep parts that dount last, over done with sub standerd parts that cost more then gold. and the dealers, well they came with at you with a smile in there face and with there hand for a hand shake and the other hand going for your wallet.
    Visitor, Media, PA, May 08, 2010 18:22
    I bought this car when it was six months old. Service maintenance is extremely expensive. I think BMW spent too much time making the car complicated (they call it "engineering") for automobiles of the caliber, rather than "KISSing" it. KISS = Keep it simple stupid!
    Jausan, Beverly Hills, CA, August 31, 2009 22:59
    Transmission problems are common problems with these cars. "Tranmission Program" translates to about $1750 in repairs at some dealerships. There are several hoses that have to be replaced in order to resolve the colling system issues. $400 a pop is common for many repairs. This car is grossly over engineered compared to other cars that deliver the same performance that are cheaper to maintain. Gas mileage is horrible, but perfomance when the car is functioning is much better. Eletrical issues remain a problem with this model along with the transmission whining sound. I have noticed this with many BMWs of this same model. An improvement since the 1993 version of the automobile, but not by much.
    champp, Hollister, CA, June 07, 2009 17:53
    this is my bm nice car.
    bhegel, Blackwood, NJ, March 08, 2009 08:46
    Good car and fun to drive but repairs are very expensive.
    Lloyd Givens, Atlanta, GA, January 07, 2009 20:22
    I love this car. It requires attention, but is a pleasure to drive.