BMW Reviews

BMW Reviews and Owner Comments

Expensive to own and maintain. BMW can NOT build an interior that holds together to save its corporate life. Can't drive the car past the repair place without leaving it there for a couple of days and writing a check for $1,000+. Have owned three and this is the story on used BMWs. If you think you're smart about money don't get a used BMW. It will bleed you dry. The trick with BMWs is to buy NEW, then get rid of the car after two or three years before the problems start and the car gets expensive to own.
This car is an absolute nightmare of repairs. You constantly fear something is going to go wrong. Not worth the logo. Thousands of dollars in repairs from putting on under 15k.
I purchased a used 2008 BMW 135i in September 2012. After two weeks, I started having trouble with the adaptive headlights and the dealer wanted $4000 to replace them. From all the research I have done, it appears a lot of other 135i owners have had similar issues with their headlights. Before I could have the headlights replaced, one of the turbos went out and the water pump stopped working. After I paid $2000+ to have the turbo replaced, I found out that BMW had been repairing them at their expense. I contacted BMW and requested reimbursement but they refused. Every two or three weeks, something else goes wrong with the car. BOTTOM LINE, buy this care at your own peril. Save yourself a lot of headaches and expense and DON'T!!!!!!
I had the car for 13 years - its at 120,000 miles still looks luxury all in the interior cabin. Never had problems few minor things luckily my BMW 530i has been very dependable. Just had a new starter replaced. Gets BMW scheduled maintenance every five thousand miles - change spark plugs at 5,000) get my routine maintenance. My BMW is comfortable runs and drives beautifully not a single problem have from this car. Original everything no oil leaks or dings the paint that was factory on car looks like new in Bronze mist metallic. It rides while it is definitely the Ultimate driving machine. I've got all services records and date in purchased the car get oil changes - fluids changed at five thousand miles there aren't any minimal problems out of my BMW absolutely love it.
I bought my BMW with 63K miles. At about 68K I started to have issues. The non standard sound system is a joke that has common problems. I can't understand how they get away with putting junk in a car as expensive as these are. My transmission started to leak and it was $1000 to replace a transmission pan and put fluid back in. A week after getting it out of the shop the radiator fan went out and that part is $910 before repairs. Not only did that happen the BMW started to leak oil as well. I have an Escalade with 220,000 miles and I haven't had nearly as many problems as this BMW which is not driven on a regular basis. Just sad and disappointing if you ask me. Bad sound system, leaking transmission, leaking oil and bad radiator fan causing it to overheat.
Lots of people buy bad cars and good cars of EVERY make and model. Bad reviews from angry people mean they bought the wrong car, didn't have a mechanic check it out (Used Car Buying for Dummies === GET A MECHANIC!) or fell in love with something cute. I've had my used 2001 BMW 740iL for 6 years and it is a great car. Just clocked 175K miles and she's running like a charm. Yes, some repairs are expensive, but most are not. Yes, it's a beast on the road and commands huge respect. Yes, it is the Ultimate Driving Machine, but more it is the Ultimate Road Car. Taking a long trip in anything else is unthinkable. Replacing a window motor is painful, but so are car payments on a new car that is worth 40% less the minute you drive off the dealer lot. Use your heads, girls! Get a good and experienced BMW mechanic to check out ANY used BMW you're going to buy. The rest is up to you, i,e, maintenance, the KEY to a car's long life.
Having owned several Beemers and 2-740iL's; I am biased in this writing. These are real head turners and expect to receive compliments! Now then, things to keep an eye or ear on, relative to these E38's: - Timing Chain Guides: They have a definite service life. Sounds can range from 'ticking' to a Diesel like sounding engine. Also may sound like a failing water pump in its early stages of decline. - Valley Pan Oil Gaskets/Valve Cover Gaskets: must be tighten to spec and absolutely cleaned before replacement. - Brake Lines: High operating pressures leads to leaks/failures. (hot arid climates are culprits) - Headliners seem to sag - Lower portion of Dashboard 'bubbles' out at front corners where front doors meet cabin. - Change ALL fluids regularly! Oil, Transmission Fluid, Break Fluid, Coolant, Power Steering Fluid. ADD Fuel Treatment every 10th fuel fill up. (Techron, STP or =) look for "complete fuel system cleaner" Over all, the 740's are an absolute blast to drive! You will love the whole Ultimate Driving experience!! And your passengers in the iL version will love the luxurious leg room!!!
I brought my BMW 528IX the car is simple awesome trades in the wife drove my BMW Friday application for replacement on a new wife mailbox if flood
Nothing but issue after issue. Lights ,valve covers,radiator, water pump you name it.3 batteries in 4.5 years.Bought the car in 2010 with 36,00 miles on it. Great car when it isn't acting up. Problem is that it has repair issues all the time.
I've owned my BMW 1994 325i convertible for four years it had 165,000 miles when I bought it. It had a few cosmetic issues, mostly plastic items,which is to be expected but the engine runs like a clock.I've been replacing parts as I can and now I am at a point where I am very happy. There is 184,000 miles on it now and a problem has started to occur periodically, the dashboard lights all come on and the speed and odometer needles will jump back and forth then the lights all go dark and the needoes drop to zero. All the while the car is running smooth just purring down the road.I love this car! My son will inherent this car when I die but the dash lights are a little aggravating. I hope it's an easy fix.
Purchased new in 2006 and has handled beautifully during the time I've had it. several problems that are quite annoying but not critical to the operation of the car: Radio lights never work!!! I remember this issue from literally decades ago, Very surprised that the issue persists. so you have to guess the stations. Cup holders do not last long and the repair or replacement is ridiculously expensive, so no liquids in car since. engine wise the transmission had a slight knock every time I came to a full stop at around 75k, didn't think anything of it until it got worse at 100k when the transmission blew. looking at @$4000 to have a rebuilt transmission installed. not what I was expecting since the car has only been serviced by BMW and the maintenance has been kept religiosly. any repair regrettably is very expensive.
THE BEST DAMN CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!!!!! EXTREMELY RELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now climbing over 207,000 miles.
130,000 miles and no problems. I would suggest before you write a review on a car, you should own one thathas been serviced regularly and well maintained. if you buy a Ferrari from a 16 year old then you should know what to expect.I would not hesitate to drive mine with a hundred thirty K from Florida to Alaska
I looked specifically for a 2004-2006 330XI for over 4 months knowing I wanted a real spare tire. Found mine with only 67K miles on it, have 98K now. Previously had a 1999 M3, Infinity G35 and a 2008 M5. All were horrible in the rain, sleet & snow. These handle like a dream especially in snow lower than 8 inches and gets decent gas mileage. Wish it had a little more leg room in the rear but hardly use it. Fixed the known oil filter housing gasket and beginning to have issues with the heat not coming through the top vents. Other than that I will probably never get rid of this car.
I have read some of these reviews and maybe I lucked out. See this is my girlfriends car. Some of the comments are on the money but this car has been a trooper! We've had brake light issues like everyone but so far so good. The paint has not faded, repairs are pretty easy to fix, parts prices are reasonable. We get most of our parts from Pelican and Salvage yards. But gas is the big factor for us ,cost to fill up is $90.00. Love the body style, power and ride but old BMWs still costly to maintain.
We have had our car for almost 3 years. We bought it from someone who took very good care of it. The one problem we are having a second time is the exhaust. We love it more than I can tell you. It drives great & runs great. But don't buy one if you can't afford the upkeep. By the way it had 105,000 miles on it when we got it. It still has less than 120,000
Rear driver side subframe cracks and the repair is 4900 dollars. They replace the subframe from the beginning of the backseat to the rearend. After the crack you can loose 1/2 in. In height On drivers rear. The problem is the car Chassis is for a 325 2.5. Engine and they install a 2.8l engine which produces more torc on three rear in. They had a class action law suit filed for all E46's. From 1999-2005 the letter went out to owners who were In the 328ci and the letter advices them too take their car into BMW. Service center to inspect and have a free repair. The settlement ended in 2009 and was open for all cars until 2010. After that it is on a case by case basis. They usually will do a percent off how long you have been a Customer. Even then it it's only. 50 percent.
I BOUGHT A 2008 328I 104K MILES HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE 9/14. DROVE IT NON-STOP FROM ALABAMA TO SAN DIEGO (30 HOURS) RAN LIKE A TOP AND GOT 27 MPG AT HIGH SPEEDS. REPLACED REAR WHEEL BEARING AND REAR SHOCKS THAT HAD A LEAK. I LOVE THIS CAR
We have a troublesome situation with our 2002 BMW 325i (E46). We recently discovered that each of the rear door stanchions has an orange sticker affixed to it stating "side airbag not operational" with an ID code of "7 008 026". We don't know who or where the stickers were put on the car but believe it was done at the factory in Munich. We had purchased the car in July 2002 while living overseas and had taken delivery at the factory after which BMW arranged for it to be shipped to us upon our return to the USA. Has anyone had a similar experience with this type of sticker or does anyone have any explanation for why the stickers were required ???
After reading the other consumer review, I do believe I have a lemon on my hands. I bought this car in 2011 with 68,000 on it hoping this car would do me good. I kept up with the maintenance on this vehicle but in turn the vehicle has killed me softly. The first two years with the vehicle was fine. I needed to replace the rotors, brake pads, rear passenger window motor, and the oil. The third year trying times stumbled upon me. I ended up spending at least 8k in work on this car (almost the value of the car). Everything that could go wrong did -- radiator went, rad hoses went, valve cover oil leak happened, spark plugs and ignition coils went, belt went (stalled on me right in the middle of the street...very dangerous), lower rad hose, oil filter housing, lower ball joint, power seat stopped working, window motor on the front passenger, wiper motor failed, atv fluid leaking, clear coat started peeling and the list goes on.... I WILL NOT ever buy another BMW. -signed one unhappy Virginian
I am really enjoying my M6, with its 6 speed manual transmission...!!!!
My 2006 BMW now has 167100 miles and I have been faithfully maintaining it since its original purchase. It has rewarded me with impeccable performance although I've experienced some repairs: a water pump at 50K miles, a radiator at 154K miles, a new oil pan, regular brakes repairs, a hairline break in a wheel, a starter at 130K miles, a trunk actuator + light replacement, a front headlight, an average $120/month maintenance cost(not including tires) and an excellent MPG(up to 34 MPG at 75 MPH with no air conditioning running). I love the finish in this car and the smooth purring engine, unlike any other car I've owned. This is my 4th BMW and I intend to stay loyal to the brand as its performance-price- comfort ratio is quite competitive. It still looks like new(dark metallic blue color)and I enjoy it every time I jump in the cabin! Recommended......
All these comments from somewhat believable, caring ppl, with these issues with this BMW? Wow...Has anyone ever said these BMW's started out with a price tag well above $60k, $70k & $80k?...These specific 645ci 2004's, 2005's were designed, enginered and launched out (for sale by BMW dealers around the world) to a population of Baby Boomers, Mellinial's and X-PAC's with the ability to absorb the initial price tag yet later sub-allocate the BMW 645ci as an inherited vehicle (with some issues) that was built and produced well before it's time.
I love the car. I have had zero problems with the exception I am on my 3rd battery.
my 2001 540i M sport has 155 plus thousand miles and runs like a dream- Change the oil religiously/every 5 k miles regardless with Castrol synthetic oil- 8 qts- worth it..Changed wheels and tires to continental high speed ,z rated tires-6 speed manual on its second clutch,third radiator,new timing chain, new coils, invest a couple of grand and the car is good good for a qtr. million miles--shift with out the clutch up and down , just feel it and time it -BMW's are the Best- Race Me...
Having owned four BMW's ( a '92 325i; a 330xi; a 323i; and a'01 325xi) I can say that a person does not own a BMW; the car owns you! And I am saying this having owned British as well as Italian cars!! My latest (the 325xi) has been towed more times than all the cars I have ever owned - combined!) (Please be informed that I drive with care Never an accident in 54 years of driving, and I am assiduous in maintaining the cars I own.) The cars are safe (structurally well-built), and extremely enjoyable to drive;more enjoyable than my Mercedes. BMW has taught me a valuable life lesson: fun is very expensive!
When I first bought this car I said to myself ok am going to keep it well maintained and take care of it no matter the cost. I got the car knowing the maintenance was going to be a little pricey. I had a friend who worked as a BMW technician and gave me shop discounts without being taken advantage from the dealers. Little did I know it was a nightmare to take care of. Some of the minor issues was squeaking from the sunroof and dashboard,cup holders breaking apart,air conditioner giving hot air,air bag lights going out,hoses needing replacement,parking Brake light going off abs light going out constant oil leaks even though you fix them. After you fix any of those problems then the regular maintenance is due oil,engine coolant,brakes is due. I couldn't drive it a full month without taking it to the shop. Then I had a scare it turned off on me when I was leaving work and going home. All the lights inside the car when out while driving. The car felt forced and it felt the transmission was on neutral not on drive. Then I got home safely and I couldn't park the car so I turned it off and it parked itself. Finally I sold the car as is. I would not recommend this car or any European vehicle to anyone.
I have had so many problems with this car and I can speak to owning from the show room floor until now about 10 years so far. I have reached my last breaking point for us. It is so high maintenance lately that even things seem to break while it's parked. It started with transmission problems and had it in the shop 3 times in the first 6 months. First two times were said to be computer problems. The third time, being Florida has a 3 time lemon law, they kept it about a week and called in the engineers. I wish today that they couldn't fix it the third time and I could have walked back in and handed them the key and parted ways. However, I like the looks, sound, all that stuff and waivered on. Every time I turn around there's another engine light coming on for something. Had to replace the radiator, multiple valves, head gaskets, fuel pumps, you name it. Now the computer is bad and it'll cost around $1800.00 to fix. That's it will be cheaper for me to give this away than let it set in my garage.
Bought my 2014 335i in Jan. Rides like you are floating on air smooth as silk. The sound system is a blast. No issues with the tires wearing(10,000 miles) I'm not a fan of the run flat tires but overall I love this car.
I just got my 2007 BMW X5 and I love it...