Auto Systems and Repair: Air Pump
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Check Engine Light may illuminate
- Vehicle may fail emissions inspection
- Abnormal noise while air pump is operating
Related Repair Advice
- An air injection system trouble code isn't always triggered by a defective air pump. It can also be triggered by a restricted passage or air pipe, a defective check valve, a defective air pump relay, or a wiring problem.
- On older vehicles, the air pump is typically belt driven. On newer vehicles, an electric pump is used and only operated when necessary.