Reviews for Ford Windstar years:

Ford Windstar Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford WindstarOwner Reviews (43 reviews)
    Visitor, Nashville, TN, May 20, 2014 09:49
    I bought this car used 13 years old. I have had it to years and it runs great
    Visitor, Yonkers, NY, April 03, 2014 13:22
    I PURCHASED MY 2002 WINDSTAR LX IN 2003 IT HAD 16453 MILES ON HER AND WAS STILL UNDER 36/36 WARRENTEE BUT I WAS GOING TO KEEP THIS VEHICLE FOR QUITE A WILL HAD 3 GRANDKIDS AT THE TIME NOW 6 I HAVE 134000 MILES OM HER NOW I HAVE A NEW (REBUILT TRANNY IN 2007) AND 3 POWERSTREERING PUMPS 2 UNDER WARRENTEE AND ONE IN 2012 NOT UNDER WARRENTEE ITS A SHAME THAT FORD DISCONTINUED IT IN 2006 SHE RUNS GREAT I KEEP HER UP TO DATE WITH ALL MAINTAINENCE GREAT RIDING VEHIHCLE
    Visitor, Salida, CA, October 18, 2013 19:12
    Bought 99 windstar, thought it was great until everything started falling apart. power doors,door locks,heater,front grill to brakes!! The only thing good is the motor. Just put over a thousand dollars out . Way to go ford, I will never buy american made car again. Toyota, Honda here I come!!!!
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, January 06, 2013 18:37
    I have a 1991 Aerostar and LOVE it so I bought a year old 2001 with 9,000 miles on it to use for business. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD. What's the old saying, "Don't mess with something if it's NOT broken". Well that's just what Ford did and they ruined it. I would clone my 1991 if I could, the 2001 has cost me THOUSANDS AND I''M SO FAR INTO IT I CAN'T GET OUT. I've put in two transmissions one right after warranty and the next 45,000miles later to the tune of over $6,000. Not to mention the other thousands on various problems including replacing the entire exhaust system. The brake light has been going on for years no one seems to be able to figure out why or stop it., I've heard horror stories about the 2001 and Tranny replacements, Ford should have taken responsibility. They have lost thousands of previously loyal customers.
    Visitor, Hagerstown, MD, November 26, 2012 07:48
    I purchased a 2003 Ford Windstar van that had 30,000 miles on it. I've rep[laced the transmission twice, rearview mirrors malfunctioned at 50,000 miles, ABS brake lights stay on. I have now 151,000 miles. needs now inner and outer tie rods,outer axel bootrepair,intake gasket repair. It is a nice riding vehicle, but upkeep is too expemsive and I'd give it a 3 star rating at best.
    your.mechanic, Fairfield, CA, October 22, 2012 23:22
    My utterly reliable and dependable van...great!
    your.mechanic, Fairfield, CA, October 22, 2012 23:20
    Bought this van for $300 with a bad engine...and replaced the engine IN A DRIVEWAY...Is being a daily driver for me since. Body is good although there are rattles, Brakes...jeez...it needs a brake job every other year. Engine is okay as well as the transmission...just change the fluids regularly. The CEL will always try to turn itself on so if you live in a smog state, be prepared! Heater and AC work excellent. Would recommend this vehicle to everyone, just have to maintain it!
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, September 08, 2012 07:18
    We've owned our 95 Windstar LX for the last 2 yrs and I love it. We've also replaced a lot of parts on it, but I consider them all investments (especially since we do not have a car note). So far, both catalytic converters, alternator, battery, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, 3 o2 sensors, a hose or two.... BUT we drove it to Ct from Fla twice. Now I think we're having an issue with the exhaust manifold seal, but like I said before, all investments. The car is almost 20yrs old and has close to 190,000miles. Plus, all the repairs mentioned above were NOT done together, just over time. Pushing on 3yrs with us and looking forward to another 10+. My first exp with a 03 Windstar was much worse. We financed it with almost 365.00 a month payments and in less than a yr we had to replace the transmission. You can never really tell, especially when you're not the first owner and don't do regular maintenance on it. It doesn't matter what car you own. You don't take care of it, it won't work well for long. For us, we just love not having payments and high full coverage ins. All the money we've spent is still way less than almost 3yrs of financing for a car you still have to maintain. :)
    Visitor, Mediapolis, IA, April 17, 2012 12:53
    The body and interior are awesome. The van brakes well. electrical is full of shorts. the engine quit due to blown head gasket. emissions has been an issue since 2008. heating is good but air condition has leaks in lines. steering is great suspension is good. It was not a good value $7,500 I paid the dealer in 2008 . Wont do it again
    Visitor, Monroeville, PA, February 22, 2012 12:29
    Just bought my 2001 Ford Windstar a few month's ago. Had 146,000 when I bought it. Car still feels tight and runs very well. No problems to speak of.
    Visitor, Carrollton, TX, February 02, 2012 15:29
    I just buy a 2000 winstar,only whit 49.600 milles,i have a problem,i hear a clik noise near the ac,and after the noise sometimes the RPM go up and down...somebody can help me...n.juma@hotmail.com...thanks
    Visitor, North Las Vegas, NV, November 30, 2011 19:27
    We have a 2002 Ford Windstar. One of the sliding doors won't open from the outside and both are getting harder and harder to open. The engine light practically stays on. Everytime we turn around there's something wrong, (fuel filter; air kit; alternator--twice; electrical problems). This vehicle is a lemon. When we attempt to answer a recall, to which we've received 3 and only had one problem resolved, your dealership won't schedule an appointment and tells us it could take any where from 4 hours to an entire day. VERY POOR SERVICE AND VERY POOR QUALITY!! Diana Sheridan
    Visitor, Naperville, IL, October 10, 2011 11:11
    Running on 4th fuel pump, though mileage is only 96,000. Changed sensors twice. Changed coil, spark plugs, wires. Check engine light stays on as 'default' on this one! A real nightmare, a real crap!!
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, September 24, 2011 13:02
    I have a 2003 ford windstar van.I have a problem at red lights.The van revs up to the point that if I really didnot mash on the break I would be affaid that I would hit the car in front of me.What canI do?And what is wrong?
    tiffer2, Galloway, OH, September 23, 2011 22:34
    I just got my windstar... I have a few issues but other than that I love it and all the features!!! This thing is fully decked out except for a Navigation System. It's amazing... Love the sliding side doors, but noticed I have to hit the button on the remote 3x's on each side to get the door to open. So I may be considered rather new on this. One is the instrument panel just starting acting up for no reason at all, after the fact that I took it to the dealership and they plugged the computer in just to get the code for the keyless entry code on the driver door... Is this something that has happened alot, or may the problem not be related to this? I assume it is, because it just starting happening. Another thing going on is the reverse parking sensor is acting up. If I put the car in reverse the light automatically says "OFF" on the button. If I put it in any other gear I can push it in and it will be "ON" what would cause this to happen?? Please let me know as any information will be helpful. Thanks.Tiffany (teaspoon30@hotmail.com)
    Visitor, Neoga, IL, August 23, 2011 08:12
    DEAR SIR I HAVE A 2003 FORD WINDSTAR AND THE AUTOMATIC WINDOW ON THE DRIVERS SIDE IS GIVING ME A PROBLEM ,WITH HELP I FINALLY GOT THE INSIDE DOOR COVER OFF AND FOUND THE LARGE SPRING LAYING AT THE BOTTOM ,INSIDE THE DOOR .WHERE DOES IT GO AND HOW DO I REINSTALL IT .............. THANKS TIM CYR emailme at cyrfarmertim@gmail.com
    Visitor, Bradenton, FL, August 16, 2011 04:45
    I purchased the ford 2002 windstar se in Illinois with 113,000. I currently have 144,000 a year later. I have replaced the alternator, Ignition coil, manifold covers and had the air condition line fixed. Runs great up to 65 mph after that the rear end shakes. I am going to take it into the ford dealer to see if all the recalls were taken care of. I hope to get 200,000 out of it and I do not see that being a problem. I bought it for $3000
    loverofalisa, Moores Hill, IN, August 13, 2011 13:47
    We have had this van for 4 years, bought with 80,000 mile. Now at 140,000 it still runs great! Yeah, we had a few problems, but the vehicle has been well worth the $6800 we paid. Brakes are easy to change, atleast on the front. We did have to change the ignition coil, which was a little bit of a challenge, but was not overly hard to do myself. If you have the time and smarts, the 2001 Ford Windstar is a great family van. Look around on the internet a little and you can find all you need to know on how to fix any problems on this model.
    Visitor, Provo, UT, June 25, 2011 12:07
    My windstar is breaking 450,000 miles i've used it for work and play, when i had problem with it, it was my neglect for not taking care of the problem sooner. I just kept up with the maintances tune ups, oil changes. i've changed the battery and alternater and starter but that was when it was about 200,000 -250,000 miles. Its starting to lose power but that expected with this much wear and tear. Also it depends on the machanic who works on it
    Visitor, Olympia, WA, June 09, 2011 00:32
    135K on this vehicle. Clunking noise from front end is getting worse. Mirror adjusters are failing again for the second time. Some paint is starting to peel from the front. Seats are starting to feel less supportive. 24 mpg on the highway. This is our second windstar. The first one got rear-ended by a car doing 50 mph. The crumple zone saved my wife's life and the life of the girl who hit her. So we bought another one immediately. But I think we got a good one. Do a search for "windstar problems", and you will find plenty.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, May 19, 2011 20:15
    I love this mini van, i turned it into a work van.A/c super cold.Good on fuel,very spacious,fits all my tools,and it tows very good.197,000 miles and running real strong, I wouldnt sell mine.it really suprised me!!
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, April 02, 2011 21:04
    Never a Ford again. Rip off! Japanese next time.
    Visitor, Port Washington, NY, February 23, 2011 05:30
    i m was drive car shut off
    Visitor, Lowell, IN, February 02, 2011 18:33
    the car runs great heats up in no time always passes the emissions test i don't like most mini vans i do like the ford minivans thoe this car has never broken down has about 75,000 miles on it goten on some good trips its a car i can count on
    Elissa, Park Forest, IL, January 22, 2011 06:13
    I have a 2001 Winstar and every since I got it, the problems never cease to amaze me. I took out a warranty (bumper to bumper) and repaired and replace almost everything. Now this crap of a car is seating in the shop due to all the recalls on it. Had I gotten a 2000 model Ford would of bought it back from me. Now I tell you, DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!
    chivas454, Hanover Park, IL, November 30, 2010 16:58
    this car work ok
    sweet, Hammond, IL, November 29, 2010 19:58
    I am a second owner of my windstar and it runs great. I have the sport and i the only thing i can say about this vehicle is the back 3 person seat cannot be taken out with only one person so I wish it did have stow-n-go seating...otherwise this is a GREAT vehicle.
    JIM Cary, Shelton, WA, October 20, 2010 10:02
    We purchased our '03 Windstar SEL new from a local WA dealer. This is our second Windstar, I would buy another one if they still made that model. It has been one of the best vehicles we've ever owned, we now have 140K miles on the original everything. Just replaced the alternator. I have one of the best automotive shops in the area that takes care my vehicle as if it were his own. Periodic maintenance is the key. If I feel there's a problem the Windstar goes to the shop. I plan on driving this vehicle to 200K+ It's the auto industry that has conditioned the buying public that they have to buy a new vehicle every 40-50K miles.
    Visitor, Clayton, WI, October 17, 2010 15:40
    Bellìsima camioneta, ( Windstar SEL 2000 ) 100,000 Kms. muy confiable y gran performance estoy muy feliz con ella --- pocos problemas---- ----los que han tenido problemas son aquellos que hacen servicios con piezas dudosas, mecànicos malos y talleres infernales..... no la vendo por nada del mundo.
  • 1998 Ford Windstar
    Visitor, Akron, OH, September 11, 2010 20:01
    I picked up my 1995 windstar in fall 2010 with 69,500 miles on it. It only has 3 spots of rust, the front end is real tight, interior is showroom new, some minor dents and dings on the body. The rear bearings were a little loose. I love it. 25mpg on highway and good highway power. I feel it lacks a little on the take off, but over all, not bad for a 16 year old 5,500 pound family wagon.
    JLSPHS58, Conroe, TX, September 08, 2010 08:24
    I bought this van new and have driven it over 200,000 miles. To date I have only had to replace the plugs & wires, install a rebuilt AC compressor and, recently, replaced both front door window motors. I have noted the information dash window being difficult to see with varying degrees of light lately. All in all a very dependable and comfortable vehicle.
    Visitor, Waterford, PA, September 06, 2010 16:45
    I really hate my windstar.. we just put this new drums ,brakes,rotars,fluid, an the brake lites still come on.We had to replace a coil an the master cyclinder switch caught fire, an i tell ya wish i could afford another vechicle cuze this one would go.. it rusting out even tho we keep it washed an the salt off it in the winter. we have replace at least 12 different sencors an the driver side window works when i feels like it an so does the rear wiper.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, September 04, 2010 07:24
    Nice Van,Now has 92,000 miles
    illpay, Brooklyn, NY, March 21, 2010 06:55
    Good van
  • 1998 Ford Windstar
    zlittle, Chatsworth, GA, January 16, 2010 05:58
    I am 3rd owner has over 200,000 ,not bad performance wise, just afew bugs.
    rambler65, Ashland, KY, November 19, 2009 08:06
    I have a spark knock problen with this car. The trouble code indicated that it was a lean on #6. I thought it was an injector but was advised that the intake seals are bad. The bolt seals from the factory that are black in color developed a vacume leak. This pulls air and oil into the intake runner resulting in a lead fuel mixture creating the spaks knock problem. Instaled the new bolt seals that are green (replacement bolt color) along with the other intake seals and fixed the problem. Took about 1.5 hour to replace.
    dleebold, Mendon, IL, November 15, 2009 15:25
    great van.bought it with 100,000 miles.at 144,000miles i had to replace the POWER STEERING RACK AND PINION, but other than that it's been very dependable.
    raginglizzard, New York, NY, July 22, 2009 17:09
    i have 155675 miles and have replaced transmission 2 times. 2nd time was due to the fact the 1st time was not done correctly. oil is changed every 5000 miles using synthetic oil and fram 7000 mile oil filter. obviously things have had to be replaced with so much mileage but as far as i am concerned this van is great and i will buy another windstar.
    bigbadbubbajoe, Wheaton, IL, June 02, 2009 11:22
    This is without a doubt one of the worst cars I've ever owned. The engine blew on me at about 79000 miles. The problem was the head gaskets.. I found out that Ford had actually recalled the motor because ALL the head gaskets were bad.. but they failed to notify customers of the recall. There are a couple dozen other recalls on the same model as well... Oh.. After I had the motor replaced the van lasted almost 10000 miles more before the transmission failed. I made the mistake of having that fixed too, and got about another 5000 miles before the ignition switch failed.. I literally had to open the hood and pull a fuse to shut off the car. Then the lever used to pop the hood failed.. Every other owner of a Windstar from 92 - 99 that I've ever talked to has told me the same thing... This is a TERRIBLE car. There is only one thing this car is good for - being used as an example of why the American auto industry is failing.
    butchb, Tonawanda, NY, May 14, 2009 07:27
    good car
    Sirwulfe2003, Monterey, TN, March 13, 2009 16:43
    Had to replace torque converter at 70,000 miles. Having a problem with brakes shutting off in cold rainy weather. ABS light and regular brake light come on, vehicle has new brakes all the way around and fluid is clean and full. Mechanic has no explanation for the problem. Driver side window quit working at 50,000 miles. Interior lights flash on and off all the time. All in all Quality was not job 1 on the Windstar.
    Bob6218, Milwaukee, WI, February 14, 2009 19:54
    overall not a bad vehicle.
    kylekiwi, Flushing, NY, January 20, 2009 20:22
    This is my third van- my other ones are a '99 GM & '01 Toyota. I have the '00 Ford Windstar SEL model. By far, the Windstar is the worst performance out of the three. The Windstar proved to be a somewhat problematic vehicle constantly prone to internal failures. Thankfully, the Windstar was discontinued by Ford Motor in 2004.