Reviews for Ford Five Hundred years:

Ford Five Hundred Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford Five HundredOwner Reviews (48 reviews)
    Visitor, Port Huron, MI, March 14, 2014 14:38
    I bought my 2006 five hundred from a dealer, used..paid wayyyyy too much, and have had nothing but problems with it! battery, alternator, right after i purchased it. tires were all shiny..until i washed it a few times, tires were dry rotted. then and now the car is hard to start when it is damp out..no problems in cold or winter, but, rainy, moisture, damp, cool, hard to start. just had a tune-up and the problem still exists. sure i can take it in for the recall on transmission, but it is my only car, and they want me to leave it for a 45 minute fix. one ford dealer in town too and dont do this work on a saturday! This car is a lemon! I am pretty sure the dealer sold this car knowing about he recall too, but never fixed it! Would never purchase one again, or from that shady dealer!
    Visitor, Grand Rapids, MI, March 14, 2014 09:29
    speedometar tachometar fuel gauges goo up down when drive
    Visitor, Greenbrier, AR, February 09, 2014 01:09
    bad car. when I got it I was amazed at how many nice features it has but save yourself the trouble and avoid like the plague. all of the bad reviews on the internet (including this page) are probably verifiable. this car has multiple "common" problem that I think are just dangerous. I'm no expert (not even a mechanic) but you don't have to be one to figure out these problems are very serious.
    Visitor, Anderson, IN, February 01, 2014 10:17
    I bought mine used (was a rental) from dealer. Now has 75000 miles with no problem except rear brakes and rotors at 40000 miles. Only complaint is the lo/Dr position on shifter. I like better control for down shifting on hills.
    Visitor, Palm Desert, CA, October 25, 2013 13:48
    I had to replace a upper engine mount, instrument cluster board, air-condition compressor,always having to change signal lights bulbs, and now Ford tells me the transmission needs to be replaced. I see now why Ford stop making this car.
    Visitor, Idaho Falls, ID, September 30, 2013 16:01
    We have had so many problems with this car!! We have had to replace the transmission, which Ford was no longer building at the time and we had to have a private company re-build it, the fuel pump, and have had to have the steering column fixed on several occasions. This car looks nice and drives nice, when it doesn't have problems, but is VERY EXPENSIVE to fix! Don't buy this car, save yourself the trouble and money!
    Visitor, Matawan, NJ, September 05, 2013 10:19
    I have a Five hundred and I had to have the Throttle body replaced, I paid over $2,100.00 and then I found out over 1 year later that this was a recall. Apparently, it starts out as your car surging and lunging forward and the RPM's jumping up and down. I have read so many reviews that peole have written about the same problem and they have paid for it. THIS IS COVERED regardless if your warranty has expired on your car, my car had 97,000 miles on it when I changed mine, I submitted the receipt to Ford and they reimbursed me the full $2,100.00, so don't be foolish take advantage of this and get our money back. If you go on the Ford website and look up recalls you will see the listing for this problem. Good luck to all that have had this issue.
    Visitor, Breckenridge, MN, July 30, 2013 18:37
    This, car has so many problems to bad i'm stuck with it..have had it in the shop on many occasions because heat and air cond. have never worked properly. now the car surges,which has caused an accident..Again took to the shop,charged me a fortune and car still surges,and to top it off now tranny is having severe problems which is causing rpms to reach 5 even 6 before i finally have to step on break to cause car to slow down..so rpms will drop...Again car in shop..and still have problem..thanks ford for a piece of shit car..
    Visitor, Angle Inlet, MN, June 17, 2013 12:56
    best used car I ever had 200k got it at 50 k no major repairs super in snow awd great car
    myfivehun, Rocklin, CA, March 26, 2013 22:10
    2006, 58,000 miles. So far full rear brakes, torque mount, and recent letter from Ford dated December 2012 stated this: May be possible to experience a momentary engine idle RPM surge when stopped or during low speed driving maneuvers such as in a parking lot or driveway. The idle RPM surge may intermittent, and the Check Engine Lamp may turn on> This may occur due to a buildup of deposits in the THROTTLE BODY. In some cases the original Powertrain Control Module strategy may not adequately compensate for the THROTTLE BODY deposits. In the interest of Customer Satisfaction (They should mean SAFETY), Ford is extending the limited warranty to provide a one-time repair of the engine idle RPM surge caused by the THROTTLE BODY DEPOSITS. Sure look forward to that Youtube Video. Also, A/C not as cold with sometimes slight musty odor in some seasons. Back rear left passenger door holds water (can hear swishing noise), brought to attention, stated that happens with no remedy. I do clean any debris if any but have to lift/release the bottom part door seal to release flood gate water. Concerned about internal panel electrical and rust! and it's only that one door? Just discovered the Encyclopedia on this site and happens to mention what I tried to explain in regards to the Control Arm. It does in fact over train tracks at legal speed and bumps, that it does make a squeaking and/or knocking noise. The car does wander at times especially in motion on freeway.
    Visitor, Hamilton, TX, January 29, 2013 18:29
    At 93000 I had to replace the A/C system $1800+labor. Temps in central TX soar in the summer and I guess I'm lucky, I've had the care since Sept 2006. I've recently experienced a cold start problem (visited parents in cold weather region). First time it's ever happened. I found this site by researching the problem. Looks like others have had the same. I can't give this car a negative rating. I've done nothing but change oil/filter since I've owned (original owner). Hope my luck continues.
    Visitor, Evansville, IN, January 16, 2013 16:41
    This car is a lemon and ford knows it. They had a recall to clean the throttle body of the cars which makes it surge, and what will it take someone getting hurt because of the surge.They need to replace the throttle body. Maybe I'll make a u tube video about how bad this car is, and show it surging.2013
    Visitor, Bloomington, IN, January 11, 2013 18:58
    Every winter when the temp gets below 34 degrees, and the car sits in this temp overnight, I will have a hell of a time starting the car in the morning. I will have to crank and crank and crank; 5-10 minutes! I have put over $2500 into correcting this problem between 3 different mechanics; $1700 this last time for the pump and throt body. The most recent attempt has been at a certified Ford dealership who replaced a throttle body and fuel pump, promising this was the cause. Still being winter here, it only started the first time every morning for a week, then back to having to sit there and crank it over and over again for minutes. I took it back recently and they had it for days and said it is now corrected with "codes" that they needed to update. I do also have the problem of my rear passenger door filling with water when it rains; then having to park on an incline the next day and leave it open for ten minutes to drain the water out. Another cold weather issue I've had, a recall issue, but not in my state, is during very cold temperatures I will get in my car and shut the door and it will not latch. Leaving me driving home from work holding my door shut with one hand. As for the complaints about the a/c, when temperatures do get up there, my a/c fails, every time. So when I really need it, it's not there. I had taken it to the shop about this issue thinking I needed a charge and was told it was full. When the temps lowered, my a/c came back. Oh, transmission went out at 75K! That costed me another $3800, only Ford had and could install this trans. No wonder they discontinued this car!!!
    Visitor, Shady Valley, TN, November 26, 2012 12:18
    Warning, this ford 500 awd has been a lemon, have put almost as much in maintenance as I paid new. Have tried to keep it patched up to get my money's worth but am ready to throw in the towel. Replace rear brakes twice, front three times, instrument panel replaced, ac dont work, rattles in front. Im afraid to take it on a long trip. Brakes are now heating up again, next car will be an asian or german engineed car. Detroit and unions suck.
    MILTON1, Forest, MS, November 03, 2012 11:03
    i have a ford 500 and i replaced the crankshaft sensor and now it wont crank. what did i do wrong?
    Visitor, Tulsa, OK, September 20, 2012 06:35
    We bought my wifes car used, and really havent done anything to it except put coolant in the A/C but now she'e having a weired noise come from the driver side. It's hard to explain what it sounds like but it almost sounds like a bearing is going out almost like when water hits your exhuast and its tingling sound is the best way to explain it what could it be?
    Visitor, Garland, TX, July 31, 2012 07:26
    my air only works if the car is in motion. Only cools if its not hot outside. Ford need to recall for known ac problems.2006 500.
    Visitor, Griffin, GA, June 23, 2012 19:49
    bought car new 2007 and have had brake problems since 6000 miles and still have them at 80,000. now I have a/c problems like so many other people with the same compressor on thier Ford.
    Visitor, Denton, TX, June 06, 2012 07:14
    I bought my Ford 500 two years ago used. I have not had any major issues( knock on wood) till now. I had to replace the rotor and brake pad the first month i owned it and now my air is not working. I can feel cold air when I drive but as soon as I stop it stops. Has anyone else had this issue at well? Also my brake lights go out often and have to be replaced. Its a great car with great gas mileage but some issues are bad on the car.
    Visitor, Newark, OH, May 07, 2012 14:34
    Bought this car with 100,000 miles on it. It is now developing a problem where the dash board will shut down completly for about 5 sec then kicks back on. Is anyone haveing this problem?
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 18, 2012 15:48
    I love my 2006 Ford 500 and I am the original owner. But the throttle box is killing me; the original was replaced in 2008 (under warr). I paid for replacement in 2010 and now need new one asap. This car will have its fourth one installed as soon as I find the money. I lucked out on the brakes just starting paying for replacements in 2010. The brakes kept being recalled and the dealer kept replacing the brakes and rotors 4 or 5 times. The rear brakes lights have to replaced 3 - 4 times a year. The front turn signal lights about twice a year. Mileage for my AWD is 34 highway; city varies extremely.
    Visitor, Mansfield, OH, March 03, 2012 17:31
    we have a ford 500 and have been experiencing transmission problems. we have been having trouble since the mileage hit 52000 miles. we really liked the car, however it greatly disgusts us to hear of the same problems with other 500 owners. we found no remedy w ford motor company. why would ford not seek to remedy this problem? we were told it would cost us more money to have the transmission problem fixed than the car is worth! this is absurb. we will think twice before buying a ford again. anybody out there who is thinking about buying a ford 500----DONT
    Loneskier, Attleboro, MA, December 16, 2011 13:44
    Bought my Five Hundred new in 2005. Have 62,000 miles on it. Had the rear breaks fixed at 30,000 miles under recall. Just had the front brakes rotor and pads at 62,000 miles. Had the AC issue this past summer. Other than normal maintenance such as 4 tires and new battery I haven't had any other issues Would love to get a Ford Fusion but it isn't in the budget.
    Visitor, Tulsa, OK, October 26, 2011 15:55
    I like my 500 even though I have spent enough on it to own two. It handles really well and the ride is good but could be more quiet. My peeves are as fallows. The transmission is a 6speed auto and it totaly sucks. Started shifting hard ball. Ford mech said it needed a new throthle body valve. Big bucks. Next the A/C petered out, needs compressor, wham! more big bucks. Next I hit garbage in road, broke gas tank strap and cracked tank. More big bucks. Brakes have been great, only replaced once, 150,000plus. Tires once also. Tail light goes out often??? weered. Had to replace front headlight plug in, old one was fried some how. Replaced battery twice. Handle for lumbar seat broke off with touch of a finger. Still like the ole car, engine seams to hold up well and no problems with abs. No other problems come to mind.
    Visitor, Emelle, AL, August 08, 2011 14:30
    I love my 500 the ac went out like many and had to replace the cooling sensor it is a 40 dollar piece do not let the mechanics fool you into thinking you need a compressor
    Visitor, Ellenboro, WV, July 10, 2011 06:48
    I love my Ford 500! My in-laws love theirs, too! I have over 122,000 miles on mine. I have always taken it to the dealership for its scheduled maintenance. I live in WV and have taken it as far Northeast as Massachusetts, as far south as Florida, as far west as Indianapolis and most points in between. I have had trouble with rear turn signal bulbs burning out seems like too frequently after initial bulbs went out, other than that, normal maintenance! My gas mileage is 24 - 30, depending on terrain, naturally. Again, I love my 500!
    Visitor, Wesley Chapel, FL, June 06, 2011 11:35
    A solid car for the money. With almost 90,000 miles on this vehicle, it still runs and looks great. The engine may be under powered slightly but, it rides great and travels well.
    Visitor, Madison Heights, MI, June 06, 2011 09:38
    LOVED MY FORD 500 UNTIL TODAY. I AM TOLD THAT MY VALVE BODY ON MY CVT TRANSMISSION IS WORN OUT $2100. THIS COMES LESS THAN 2 WEEKS AFTER GETTING MY ROUTINE TRANSMISSION FLUSH. NEEDLESS TO SAY I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY AND LIKE PREVIOUS THREADS THE TRADE IN VALUE IS SO LOW FOR MY CAR AND HER 84K MILES I AM SERIOUSLY SCREWED.
    Visitor, Mckinney, TX, June 04, 2011 09:27
    SO MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE A/C. THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE LOOKED INTO
    Visitor, Spartanburg, SC, June 02, 2011 11:43
    We bought an '05 Five Hundred a year ago (August 2010). My husband always talked up the Taurus but I hated the body style. When the Five Hundred came out I was more than pleased with the changes. When we finally bought the car I was thrilled. I still love it! We've had no major problems and the car was in pretty awesome condition (only a few dings / scratches from the previous owner). The only thing I am concerned about is the air conditioning. I'm recharging it today. We live in SC and the temp here has been in the 100's already so it's working much harder than some vehicles but it still shouldn't take 30 minutes or more to get cold. Even then I have to leave the fan on max to keep the interior cool. We'll see if the recharge helps at all. Other than that I LOVE THIS CAR! I will be looking into a used Taurus in a few years I'm sure (I love the 2012 Taurus)
    Visitor, Lafayette, LA, May 01, 2011 19:44
    i love the look of the car, but sometimes i wonder if it's worth it all.....
    jbrkmo, Rogersville, MO, April 04, 2011 12:40
    We purchased our 2007 Ford 500 used from a local car lot at 55,000 miles. After only a few weeks of driving it, we knew there was something wrong with it. We had an extended warranty and took it back to the service dept. where we bought it from three times only to be told they couldn't replicate my complaints. The car shifts hard, going up hills, starting/stopping, it lunges forward/backward when we leave it in park to idle and then shift into drive/reverse, the rubber shift slider is bunching up now....making it hard to even get into drive. These problems have always been intermittent and even though the dealership where I bought the car finally admitted there was a problem, they couldn't fix it because it didn't show up on the diagnostic machine. They told me that if it was a faulty part, it would eventually give out and I could have it towed back in. Now that I have contacted the car salesman, they are recommending I take it to a transmission shop while we only have 1500 miles left on our warranty. Hopefully we can get something done about it. My advice to anyone with a Ford 500.....get rid of it.....or make sure you have an extended warranty because you will need it. This was my first Ford and sadly...it will be my last. Too bad Americans are forced to buy products outside of our country because quality and customer service in our own country sucks!
    Visitor, Nicholson, PA, March 23, 2011 07:45
    I have the 2005 Ford Five Hundred AWD. Since owning the car I only have 56000 miles. The drivers side heater went in the seats. If the car sits longer than two days it will not start. Something drains the battery. Also sometime the car wants to start then it will stall out. Sometimes it will take up to 5 - 10 times to get it to start. I keep having to put dry gas in it. Would not buy another one.
    Visitor, Lewiston, ID, February 05, 2011 20:51
    Have had this car to Ford mechanics 2 times for the transmission. They say nothing is wrong. Each time having to pay 100 dollars because warrenty doesn't cover what the mechanics can't find!!....Being a driver of over 30 years...I can tell when something is not right. I finally took the car to a non-ford transmission shop.....they told me the transmission is fine...HOWEVER, because of the engine size (not having enough horsepower for the transmission) the tranny acts like it is racing and takes longer to shift up. Wouldn't have this issue if it had at least 20 more horse power......WOW, if Ford had been able to tell me that I wouldn't have taken it back for another wasted 100 dollar bill..... Rear right blinker goes out near every 4 months. Gas mileage sucks! salesman said, "Oh yea, this baby gets 30+ on the highway....we are lucky to get 22 on the highway and 17 in town........more cost effective to drive our FORD expedition.....which has been a mechanical pit too....... Never gonna buy another ford...... can't afford a ford!!!!
    Visitor, Mcdonough, GA, January 01, 2011 21:36
    I am extremely worried. I just bought a 2007 five hundred a few weeks ago. Ive put about 500 miles on it so far and already see potential major problems. The gears have trouble shifting around 45 mph and what pisses me off the most are the extreme jumps the car takes when put into drive or reverse. I am already financing this for WAY more than it is worth (I have no credit and had little options) and its our only vehicle. The last thing we need is a $5500 transmission replacement. We most definitely DO NOT have that kind of money. I am afraid I have screwed over my family now. *sob*
    Visitor, Louisville, KY, December 22, 2010 09:15
    I just came back from the ford dealer where i purchasd my 2007 500 three years. Brakes bad again. First time i had 16,000 on my car. Next time i had approx.20,000 miles.This time i have 26,000 all with the same problem.The dealer refuses to do anything about it saying i had been there only one time about this problem. Sounds like a cover up to me 1st time they put new rotors and brakes on. 2nd time they turned the rotors and put new brakes and a wheel bearing on. 3rd time they refused to do anything about it'. Let's hear about it, how many others are getting the run around. All withend 26,000 miles.
    Visitor, Oglesby, IL, November 27, 2010 11:07
    I have taken Ford to small claims court in British Columbia because of the problems with the rear brakes on my 2007 Ford 500. Although the mechanics at the ford service department state clearly that there has been a problem with the rear brakes and rotors, and Ford has issued an extended warranty on some ford 500 brakes, Ford says the problem was solved by the time my car was built in Chicago. When the dealer replaced the rear brakes and rotors ($650) they noted on the work order that the problem was caused by undersized rotors. At the settlement hearing (there is always one to try and resolve the problem before it goes to open court) the Ford rep stated that the dealer and his service department were not really Ford so it did not matter what they thought/stated. The judge was NOT IMPRESSED. Anyway we go to trial in a few months. Before then Ford has to provide all warranty and technical notices re the Ford 500 brakes. Does anyone have more experience???
    jakkionline, Oroville, CA, September 11, 2010 18:30
    I bought an 07 five hundred in 07 that was a previous rental. It had 16000 miles on it. It was fine for about the first 10000 miles and then we realized we had break problems. We took it to Ford and they replaced the pads and rotors due to the recall. We also mentioned that when the cars RPMs climb from 2-3k it bounces back to 2k and climbs again..kinda like its slipping. The dealer said theres nothing wrong with it. At 50k miles the car started to shift in the rear end when driving over a bump, then the A arm went out. We had it replaced ( costing about $500) then 7 months later it went out again. The motor mount on the top is bad, and a month ago we were on a drive when the car died. We tried to restart it and it wouldnt start. We used a code reader and found out that the fuel rail pressure sensor was bad. We replaced it ( at $105 only available through the dealer) and it drove fine for another 2 months, until we drove it out of state and it did the exact same thing. This time we pulled the battery cables and reset the fuel pump and it started and has been running fine ever since. I know I shouldnt have bought a prior rental, but I had no idea there would be so many problems with a newer car. Not at all happy with the service from ford and probably wont ever buy ford again.
    Visitor, Indianapolis, IN, August 08, 2010 11:04
    This is a great car! I have the Limited AWD model and now have about 60K on it without any problems. I wasn't sure I would like the CVT transmission, but it has performed perfect and seems to help the AWD with improved gas mileage. It gets 20 plus in city traffic and a recent 1400 mile trip showed a composit mpg of 26.2 on the computer. I've owned several other modes, BMW, Mercedes, and Jag, and this car compares favorable with all in build quality, yet routine maintenance is cheaper.
    Visitor, Hilo, HI, July 31, 2010 16:40
    Now has just over 15,000 since it was new. Very comfortable due to height, seating, suspension, quiet. Only problem was seizing of rear brake, covered by warranty. Excellent gas milage. Too bad this car did not have a higher promotional profile.
    Visitor, Dearborn Heights, MI, July 19, 2010 07:48
    Piece of junk. My first and last Ford. So far, new trans at 25k, bad fuel injector that was bad all along, but the dealer wouldn't fix it because it "didn't blow a code and Ford won't pay for the repair unless it blows a code". I wrote to Ford and they fixed it and returned my deductible from an extended warranty that I bought out of fear. Here it is a year later and the trans is slipping, the tires are cupping, need rear brakes too soon, and the injector is acting up again, and the turn signal is out, just to name a few things. I'm done with Ford. Just like they used to say way back when... Ford means Fix Or Repair Daily!!!!
    Visitor, Louisville, KY, July 16, 2010 19:43
    We've had '91 Aerostar, a '99 Taurus, and an '05 Five Hundred. Each have had some pluses but all three needed AC compressor replacement at about the five year mark. This will probably be our last Ford. The Five Hundred (stupid name - my registration papers say it is a truck) also has started having problems shifting out of Park.
    Visitor, Roanoke Rapids, NC, June 24, 2010 13:14
    I love my 2005 Ford 500, but I must admit I ran into several issues even after buying it Brand New. First of all, the first thing that I had trouble with was the car CD player, it jammed (with 5 brand new CD's in it's custody), and the dealership did order me another one, which was covered under warranty, well the next one broke too and this time I had to pay a deductable. The other issues is my ac is not working after 5 years. This will cost over $1000 I am told today as I write this. They don't make cars the way they used to, but there are several pluses to this vehicle. I just hate the fact that I will have to pay such a large cost for a compressor that should have lasted longer than 5 years.
    Visitor, League City, TX, June 05, 2010 01:08
    At 30,000 miles, pass rear metal to metal on brakes. At 34,000 miles, CD changer jammed and at 35,000 miles A/C compressor needs changing. Apparently not a very well built automobile.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, June 04, 2010 05:05
    Kept my 500 serviced. Had maintenance performed on time. Transmission died at 66,500 miles. Ford can't tell me why. After driving Ford for 30 years, won't buy another.New transmission cost more than cars trade in value.
    Visitor, San Bernardino, CA, April 14, 2010 09:19