1997 Audi A6 Quattro Problem Reports

Most Reported 1997 Audi A6 Quattro Problem Reports

View:Most ReportedNewestRepairPal Verified

A fluid leak may develop from the propeller shaft seal on the rear of the transmission. Our technicians tell us that replacing the seal will commonly correct this concern.

Our technicians recommend having the constant velocity (CV) boots and CV joints inspected at each service. Servicing torn CV boots early can prevent the need to replace the CV half shaft or CV joint.

Premature wear in various multi-link suspension components can cause noises that are difficult to diagnose. Worn suspension parts can also cause uneven tire wear and create steering alignment problems.

The water pump may fail resulting in engine overheating and possible timing belt damage. Overheating and/or timing belt failure can result in very expensive engine repairs. As a precaution, it is recommended to inspect the timing belt and water pump at regular intervals.

Clogged drains can allow rainwater to accumulate in the plenum tray (at the base of the windshield). The water may leak into the vehicle's interior, brake booster, or electrical components, which can lead to major problems. Our technicians recommend keeping the tray clear of leaves, pine needles, and other debris.

An External oil leak may develop from the valley pan gasket (under the intake manifold) and/or the head gasket.

Break light switch becomes inoperable, causing ABS and No traction control light come on, causing brake lights to stay on even with the engine shut off and car locked (as if someone is stepping on the brake pedal). Problem corrected by replacing the brake light switch (located in the driver's side compartment, above the brake pedal).

DIY links:

http:/...

I noticed my gas gauge wasn't working after I re-fueled. The speedometer gauge had not been working right for a while. It constantly kept going up and down. When I tried to get info from knowledge techs, I was told the Instrument Cluster had gone and would need a new one put in (which I know is pretty darn expensive. I did some research on my own. I found that there is a sensor that can go bad, that connects the gas and speedometer gauges...