1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
- Heat not getting hot in truck
- rebuilt vacuum pump, getting 4 wheel drive light but axle not engaging
- I have 1996 dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 wont engage. I have rebuilt the vacuum pump
- does my trans have converter lock-up and do they have a known problem with this
- When I turn on my AC, it blows the fuse under the hood in seconds? I just replaced both batteries 2 days ago. thanks in advance
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Tolker Auto Service (240) 233-2581 | 17.49mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- LXT Automotive (301) 679-7303 | 20.28mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Problems
If the engine is difficult to start or cranks but does not start, it can be caused by a leak in the return side of the fuel system. This type of leak can allow air to enter the injection pump resulting in starting issues. A rubber hose on the back of the injection pump, connecting the pump to the steel hard line, that can be the source of this type of leak.
Engine overheating can result from coolant leaks which are commonly found at the thermostat housing gasket, water pump, heater return tube O-ring at the water pump, intake manifold gasket, and timing cover gasket. Our technicians recommend a complete inspection of the cooling system after any repairs are made to be sure there are no other leaks.
On 3.9L V6 and 5.9L V8 engines, the intake manifold gasket may leak and cause increased oil consumption and a spark knock during acceleration; the gasket should be replaced.
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Questions
My truck blows really hard when cranked up to the max for the heat, but is very luke warm can this be a thermostat issue or Heater Core?
i have rebuilt the vacuum pump and now get the indicator light to come on but still no engagement of the axel
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Recalls
Chrysler has recalled certain 1994-1999 Dodge Ram 1500/2500 models in areas that use road salt because corrosion of the return spring on the hood secondary latch could cause the mechanism to bind in the "release position." This may cause the hood to open unexpectedly. Dealers will replace the secondary hood latch.
Chrysler has recalled certain 1994-1996 Dodge Ram 1500/2500 models equipped with Diesel engines because the throttle cable could unravel (fray) or break, which may cause a loss of throttle control. A throttle that does not return to idle may lead to unexpected acceleration. Dealers will inspect and replace the throttle cable and upper bell crank lever.
Chrysler has recalled certain 1994-1996 Dodge Ram 1500/2500 light duty pickup trucks because they were built with an ignition switch and wiring that may overheat. Dealers will install a relay and overlay harness.
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Reviews
I ordered my 96 desiel new, the only disappointment I have is the automatic tranmission. Truck has 180,000 miles on it and the motor has never been messed with other than proper maintenance, the interior has no rips, except for a ding or two the body is great. I have recently rebuilt the front end, expected with the weight of a desiel engine.
I love my 1996 Dodge 2500 HD 4x4. I have lived in a rural area for over 18 years and bought this truck new. I have worked the heck out of it and it keeps going. I bought it new and have never had a bad tought about it!@ Great Vehicle.