I just purchased a 1997 Ford Escort Wagon with a 4cylinder 2.0 litre engine in it and I can't get this thing to stay at an idle. There was a problem that I found out after I purchased it, and that being the car sat for 2 yrs, because the people I bought it from said the motor was locked up,which I couldn't get it to turn with a socket on the crankshaft and they thought that the timing belt was broke. I repaired the ground wire that was corroded, took the timing cover off, found that the timing belt was in good shape, but loose, got the engine to free up reset the timing and tightened the belt. I replaced the spark pugs, checked the resistance on the wires, and checked for a broken or bad vacuum line. Any help would be appreciated.
won't idle on 1997 Ford Escort
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by lawrenceg ,
September 08, 2009
You'll need to make sure you have good gas, and no water in the gas. Make sure all the vacuum hoses and intake manifold gaskets are not leaking. Clean the idle valve and make sure it is working. It might not be a bad idea to perform a compression check too.
Verified for the Ford Escort130 reports
1 answerAugust 03, 2011
1 answerNovember 15, 2010
1 answerNovember 11, 2010
1 answerOctober 22, 2016
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- What is wrong when a fuse blows and melts the wire behind the fuse box?
- Why wont my car start when it has a new battery only 3 months old
- 1999 Ford escort has problems starting at times have to push on gas rev thn strt
- Sitting at light and car will idle high. Changes gaskets, control module.
- zx2 wont get fuel. What could be problem?
1997 Ford Escort Estimates
- Ignition Switch Replacement (Electrical) ($129 - 275) in Talmage, CA
- 75,000 Mile Service ($132 - 194) in Addis, LA
- Tie Rod End Replacement - Outer ($181 - 398) in Summerville, OR
- Serpentine Belt Replacement ($233 - 345) in East Bloomfield, NY
- Suspension Coil Spring Replacement ($352 - 463) in Branch, LA
- Emergency Brake Cable Replacement ($83 - 106) in Oradell, NJ