Car Questions

What is wrong with my park lock? Shifting Problems?

(2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500)
in Woodland, CA on December 11, 2010
I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71. So my truck is in park. I step on the brake and try to put it in reverse and it is really hard to put it into reverse, neutral, drive, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. When i stop and try to put it into park sometimes it dosent go into park and i have to repeat trying to put it into park.
I think it is the park lock that needs to be adjusted. Im not too sure though. How much will it be to fix the problem?
Displaying 2 answers & 1 comments
on December 11, 2010
Sounds more like a binding shifter linkage - like a cable issue or something bent. It should be inspected at the transmission, and then inside the vehicle.
on December 12, 2010
sounds like your shift interlock system may be binding or sticking. If it came on all of a sudden, I would suspect a power or grround problem or perhaps a brake switch. It will require diagnosis before any accurate estimate can be provided.
on December 12, 2010
I guess I can't be on my phone and have it show up as my username.

2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 Intermittent ABS and brake light on randomly. Off after turn off engine. light on while foo...
what does the whining sound in my 1500 chevy alvanche,meams?