RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: what all do i need to change the rear end fluid and how much of it do i need? on 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
my tire on the passenger side is locking up on turns and not wanting to spin.
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
look on the tag in your glove box.....If you see a G80 any where it means you have a locked (posi) rear end.

If not... one is gonna spin and the one that has better traction or grip on the pavement isn't.

gear lube is or could be 80 weight "gear lube"
There are two recessed square drive bolts ( just use a 3/8 ratchet and extension) bottom to to vent and fill. replace the bottom one and then remove the rear cover to fully drain it. new gasket and reseal it. refill the differential to the bottom of the thread level on the top bolt. replace bolt and your done. check for leaks and drive it....
Didn't find what you were looking for?