Toyota tires come in all shapes and sizes—high performance tires intended for the high performance sport vehicles, off-road tires for the trucks and SUVs, all-season tires for vehicles in snowy areas, and normal, everyday tires for vehicles that operate in mild climates.
Toyota Models with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
Toyota has a tire pressure monitoring system that alerts the driver if any of the tires fall 1 to 2psi below the factory specified tire pressure or are more than 1 to 2psi different from the other tires.
Each tire valve has a tire pressure sensor that transmits the pressure data to the tire pressure computer. If any tire valve is damaged and subsequently replaced, the new tire valve's serial number must be registered with the tire computer or the tire pressure warning light will stay illuminated.
It is also important to use the proper tire valve cap or the tire data will be improperly transmitted, causing the tire pressure warning light to illuminate.
In order to compensate for pressure increases as the tires warm up during driving, it is important to set the spare tire pressure to 3 to 4psi above the other four tires. Otherwise, the tire pressure warning light will illuminate because of the pressure difference between the spare and the other four tires.
Do not use a "quick fix" aerosol can type of flat repair because it can damage the tire pressure sensor.
- Toyota issued TSB-ST005-01, which covers 2002–2007 Toyotas and 2004–2007 Scions, and pertains to vehicles drifting left or right under normal driving conditions. It extensively outlines many alignment checks and procedures.
- In June 2006, Toyota issued a recall for the FJ Cruiser (Recall #06V235000). Vehicles equipped with Bridgestone Dueler or Dunlop Grandtreck tires may have damage to the inner bead. This may result in a loss of tire pressure, which increases the risk of the vehicle becoming involved in an accident. Only 9,434 models were affected.
- Toyota issued a TSB for 2007 Tundras and 2007–2008 Siennas. The tire pressure monitoring system light may illuminate, signifying a low tire pressure. If the computer “stores” certain codes relating to problems with the TPMS, the computer for the tire pressure monitoring system should be replaced and reprogrammed.
- The 2004–2007 Siennas had optional "run flat" tires. Toyota allowed these tires to be driven under-inflated at speeds not exceeding 55mph, at a distance not exceeding 100 miles. A TSB regarding strict criteria for repairing these tires was issued in March, 2005 (#PG004-05).
- Toyota issued TSB-PG001-07 for 2007 Tundras. Toyota has increased the wheel lug nut torque to 184 feet/pound on all models.
- Toyota issued a recall for the Tacoma (#06V061000) in February 2006. Vehicles may have damage to the tire bead that could result in a loss of tire pressure, increasing the risk of the vehicle becoming involved in an accident. Only 12,020 models were affected.
- Toyota issued TSB-SU-003-06 in November 2006 for 2005–2006 models. If the tire pressure warning system light is illuminated and there is no fault in the TPWS, the ECU is replaced.
- Toyota issued TSB-BR001-05 in February 2005 relating to noise from the rear wheel bearings that was incorrectly diagnosed as tire noise.
- Toyota issued TSB-PG015-00 in February 2001 concerning correct replacement tires for the Toyota Prius. The tires should be replaced with ones that carry the marking XL (Extra Load), not just tires of similar size. The XL tires have a higher load carrying ability which helps carry the additional weight added to the Prius due to its large battery pack.
Toyota Tire Questions and Answers
I deliver newspapers and just bought this car. Noise stopped when I had bundles of newspapers in the trunk. Started back once car was empty again. Sometimes kinda feels like the back tire is bounci...
When I am driving in normal conditions I hear a ticking or slight tapping noise while driving into or out of a right sided curve in the road then it seems as if my Toyota Sienna doesn't want to...
We recently went in for scheduled check-up/maintenance. We were told that the battery did not pass. That was about a month ago, there have been only limited problems in that regard since. Then just...
the low tire pressure light comes on when starting it flashes for about 1 minute then stays on checked all tires all 4 are above 30 lbs
I had both rear hubs as well as the pin for the emergency brake line on the driver side rear wheel replaced. Immediately upon starting, the ABS, VSC and e-brake light are all on solid and the tire ...