Car Questions
RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Tire warranty worth it?

(1995 Honda Civic)
in New Haven, CT on January 20, 2009
I'm replacing my tires I got 2.5 yrs ago (they were bottom of the line) and were leaking air slowy, one of them went flat.

I'm going to upgrade to a better tire, but wondered if I should bother with "road hazard warranty" as it did nothing in the case of these tires (the guy said they had dry rot and couldn't be repaired...).


Displaying 4 answers & 2 comments
Popular Answer
on May 22, 2010
a tire that is dry rotted is customer responsibility buying a road hazard warranty is an insurance company game they are betting and you have a 98% chance of loosing because they only pay out 2% per year and the tires are pro rated for example if you buy a 80.00 tire an hit a pot hole an your tire has 50% worn out u pay 40.00 out of pocket now tell me who winning trust me i own a tire shop for 7 years an never recommend it once
on February 18, 2009
Hi Pete,
Andy made some good points. On Avgerage, the Road Hazzard should never cost more then 10% of the tire itself. Most tire dealers have similar RH Programs. Be sure to read the"fine-print".As like Andy, I also agree that is worth while for a piece of mind. Even in the worst of conditions you should not have had dry rot after only 2 1/2 years. When purchasing your new tires always check the date of production found on every tire at the end(last 4 numbers) of the DOT# ex;4808=48th week of 2008.Under a year old is good! Also never use a silicone base "tireshine". This is sure to expedite dry rot. Terry The Tireman
on January 20, 2009
Road hazard usually covers nails or other types or puncture damage. I like hazard coverage mostly for piece of mind. If something damages the sidewall, I won't have to pay for my new tire. You have to decide whether $40 (or whatever it is) on the warranty is worth it to you. If you're spending 50-60 per tire I don't know. One tire patch repair normally costs $30-35. Warranties are always a gamble I'm afraid

It does seem odd that you already have dry rot on a 2 year-old tire. Is there any manufacturer warranty on that?
on January 20, 2009
It's possible there isn't one, it was just a passing thought. If you haven't bought the tires yet, it can't hurt to ask :)
on January 20, 2009
Andy - Thx for the info. yeah, I guess there's no sure-fire answer.

If there was a manufacturer's warranty, I thought that Pep-boys (where I bought the tires and warranty), would have told me about it - no?
on February 18, 2015
Sorry this is not an answer. I got a similiar problem. My front tire had dry rot and it blew out on the side yesterday. The most amazing thing about it was that I bought the tires 1 year and 2 months ago. They are suppose to be new. I feel I will probably not be happy with what they say. PEP-BOYS SUCK!
I will save the tire and either go to TV station or put a video on U-tube. People should know about this.
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more

Similar Questions

View answers to similar questions from RepairPal's community of auto experts and enthusiasts.
I more of a problem than a question . I have had my Altima brand new off the lot since 2002. We have put a lot of mon...
Didn't find what you were looking for?