QUESTIONS

Q: Starting problems with my '96 SS on 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

I have never had an issue with my car starting...until day before yesterday. I drove the car for about 10 minutes to an appointment, then about the same returning to work. I came out about 1/2 hour later and it would not turn over. A slight click some of the time.
I tried jumping from a friends car and all we got was a buzzing, clicking noise with a very small movement of the crankshaft.
I called a tow truck and it took about an hour for them to show up. We tried once again to jump it with his power pack...and it started! I drove it home (about 1/2 hour), shut it off and tried to start it again with only a click, click, click. I checked battery voltage and it was about 12.8 volts. I put a charger on it and tried it in 100 amp "start" mode and it still only clicked with the lights dimming a lot each time it clicked.
So a day later, I asked some friends to help me push it into my garage for further troubleshooting and voila...it started. I drove it into the garage, shut it off and re-started it several times.
All I can think of is it is heat related, but I'm hoping for some good information and advice. Thanks
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
Sounds like you need the starter replaced if the battery has a reading of 12.8 volts and you can get a estimate here https://repairpal.com/estimator/chevrolet/impala+ss and locate a shop near you here https://repairpal.com/chevrolet-repair-in-poway-california As chevy starters are known to have heat related problems when they get old