Car Questions

Starting problems

(1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue)
in Prescott, WI on October 12, 2009
I have a 99 olds intrigue (3.5L) One morning I drive into work, stopped to get gas and went to start it and I got nothing. Didn't crank, no clicking noise whatsoever. I've replaced the battery, still same problems. All lights, radio, locks, windows, etc. all work. My next move is between the neutral safety switch, ignition switch or starter. Any insight on this? How difficult would these repairs be? Thanks!!
Displaying 3 answers & 1 comment
on April 26, 2010
try turning you keyswitch on and leave it on for at least 10 minutes! then turn it off and wait 60 seconds and try to start it again! if your car has general motors goofy secutiry anitheft system on it it may be keeping your car from starting? it shuts off the fuel supply. i had it happen a couple of times on my 2002 old alero. it's just a way to get you to take your car to the shop so they can make more money. if your security light is on in the dash then this is most likely your problem? can't hurt to try it! good luck :o)
on April 12, 2010
I had the same issue. Turned out to be both my starter and the ignition switch. Crazy. They both went bad at the same time. The starter was only 1 month old as well. I did see it work on the test machine and it was definitely bad and the switch threw a code. So both, believe it or not. These cars are known for the ignition switch though.
on October 12, 2009
I cannot speak to your vehicle directly, but I have a 97 Olds Bravada I had to replace the ignition switch, and that was giving me all kinds of grief. I heard it was quite common, but don't know if that goes to their cars as well. Can you start the vehicle with it in neutral?
on October 12, 2009
I've tried once and even rocked it back and forth but it still didn't start. I never worked the shifter back and forth or anything. I'm getting a neutral safety switch after work to throw on and see if that fixes it. Do I get to that from underneath the car?
Get a repair estimate
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide.
Or interested in getting a repair? Find a Shop

The problem started today shut the vehicle off and i want to restart vehicle had headlights – dashboard but the engin...
I am having an intermitant problem with engine not returning to idle on hot or cold start up also when driving. when ...