RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: Spilled coffee in shifter and will not shift out of 2nd gear on 1999 Mercedes-Benz E300

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
A girl friend has spilled coffee in the shift lever area and now it will not shift out of 2nd gear. I am a Jaguar tech but not much experience with Mercedes Benz. She said a repair shop said the "valve gear" is bad, part# 140270060688. Any help?
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
| |
I work on Jaguar as well. I had a similar problem with a friend's VW, she spilled coffee in shift lever area, shift lock solenoid failed, may be worth taking apart shift console see if you can see what's wrong. Have you ever used Alldata ,You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap,
There is a professional service called Identafix. They only deal with professional repair shops. They are in the Minnesota 651-633-8007. They only deal with professionals, you discuss your problem with a team of professional technicians great service cheap and very bright people. Good luck, hope you can fix it yourself.
Buy a new one. Super easy to replace. I just did mine because it burned out, literally. But it was very humid and I think I might have spilled something on it a while back. This is a very common mistake. I dont use that cupholder anymore!
I youtubed how to get the console out, then the shifter is 4 bolts and a clip for the linkage and your done.
good luck
Didn't find what you were looking for?