QUESTIONS

Q: speedometer problem on 2000 Honda Civic

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
i have a problem with my cluster my spedo seems to do what it wants and stay at 20 mph or 40 when in motion and some times starts to work . i replaced the cluster with a used one and worked and then started to do the same . any ideas??? coul it be a ground issue please help!!!!
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
Usually with a ground issue you would have more than just a speedometer problem as the ground is used by other circuits also. I have not seen any issues with Civic speedometers. Since you already tried another speedometer (the assumption is that it's good) I would look to the speed sensor and the transmission. The speed sensor will count a sensor ring in the transmission. You could have a bad sensor, a worn transmission, or some issue with the wiring in between. A scanner that reads data would tell you what the computer is seeing and would help with diagnosis. If the scanner is erratic and mirrors the speedometer then you can start by looking at the output. A good visual inspection would be a good start too.
I have the exact same problem described above with my 2000 Civic EX - at 142k miles on the speedometer. No solutions suggested by two mechanics yet, they want to try replacing the cluster first, but the cost is too much for me just to try out. I am looking for a good plan of attack to resolve this, please.