2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI owners like you.

2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Ratings Overview
7 car owners like you reviewed their 2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 3/29/15 | Colorado Springs, CO
260.000 miles on this commuter car,bought in 2010 with 81.000 miles on it. We are on the 3. turbo replacement, 1. one died at 120.000 2. one died at 220.000 miles.Replacement cost for both about 4,500$. Computer on steering rack died at 250.000, 2,500$ repair.Driver door wiring harness broke at 90.000 miles cost 500$.All in all it is sad the all the $$ we save in fuel have been spend on repairs that should not have had occurred. Our little 96 Vw Golf is still running strong with 250.000 miles on it.Never had those kinds of issues. It seems that the newer the model for VW the lower the quality of construction. It is disappointing because we thought we bought German quality engineering...
By on 5/5/13 | Albany, NY
2005 130000 miles on it, and the camshaft and lifter are worn out. this will be about a $5000 repair. I thought diesels were to run forever. I change oil regularly with the VW syn. What you save on fuel you spend on repairs.
By on 11/15/11 | Salem, VA
I bought my 2005.5 Jetta TDI in June 2005. I now have over 150,000 miles on it. I just took it in for a timing belt replacement. Except for broken wire in the drivers door which caused the window to not work, the car has been perfect! It still looks and drives like new. I change the oil every 11,000 with Castrol Syntec and fuel filter every October. I am still on my 2nd set of tires and 20,000 miles left on them. I changed rear brakes only at 103,000. Original fronts still on car with half pads left. I just got 54.2 MPG hwy on 400+ mile trip 2 days ago. This is an exceptional car. Just keep clean oil in it.
By on 8/15/11 | Lake City, FL
Volkswagen Jetta is sharp and stylish on the outside, spacious and versatile inside, it combines comfort, safety and reliability in a package that is affordable and economical.

By on 5/16/11 | Humble, TX
Just bought the car.....seems ok as far as I can tell.
By on 3/7/11 | Bloomfield, IA
Worst car we've ever had, bought it new. 2005 VW Jetta TDI. I love the car for looks and mpg, but it's constantly something wrong with it, and it's EXPENSIVE to fix. 200 miles after warranty was off the drive train went out (60,000 mi), seat belt on passengers side quit working and they said it wasn't covered (60,000), clutch went out (70,000), passengers window will not roll up or down, passengers door will not lock/unlock,
By on 11/14/09 | Marysville, WA
Wonderful car. I recommended this Diesel to my lady friend since I have had Diesel Mercedes for 30 years. The only draw back I can see after 4 years is, try to keep break lights in this car. It seems to blow out brake lights regularly. Brakes squeal when cold.