1995 Toyota Tercel Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1995 Toyota Tercel owners like you.

1995 Toyota Tercel Ratings Overview
3 car owners like you reviewed their 1995 Toyota Tercel. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 12/31/17 | Olympia, WA
I must confess that the reason I came to this site was to figure out whether or not to sell my 1995 Toyota Tercel.

On the one hand, I love this car. I bought it new, in 1996, for less than $10,000, with only 34 miles on it. So yes, I've owned my Tercel for 22 years! It gets great gas mileage (nearly 40 MPG), and looks sporty, can fit into compact spaces, and has a huge trunk! I also like how durable it is. It has 212,000 miles on it after 22 years. Yes, I've babied it, and kept up with all the maintenance, and kept it in the garage. But it's been a great car, fun to drive, and very reliable! Even after it was totaled in 2006, it was totaled when an 18-year old without insurance rear-ended me while I was on the way to the airport. Lovely. But it didn't affect the drivability of this car! The trunk has some leaks, but wow, to survive that sort of impact, you've got to know this is a sturdy car.

Here are the problems I've had with the car over the past 22 years: An oil leak needed to be repaired, the battery replaced, and the brakes overhauled. In 2004, I had an A/C unit added, and this had some problems as well, but it was fixed. So nothing major at all!

Some disadvantages to this particular car is that it's all manual steering, an also has manual windows with handles. The handle on the drivers side has come off, and there are no parts to repair it, so that's a bummer. I still use the handle, just have to keep it in the pouch below where you roll down the windows and use it when needed. I am considering using glue to permanently attach it, but I'm not sure how that will work. Another disadvantage is that it is noisy. I have very sensitive hearing, and I measured the decibals it puts off while driving it and wow....no wonder I have ringing in my ears constantly.

The reason I wanted to sell it is because recently, mice began to infiltrate it. Last week, I saw a collection of mouse-turds on the interior of my car when I left a latte cup in my car overnight. Lovely. Anyway, after freaking out a bit, I immediately took it to the dealership and had it completely cleaned. I planned on selling it, but then they told me that this is a common problem, even with newer cars, where people live in rural areas like I do. So, now that it's clean, and I am using herbal remedies to keep the mice out, I am considering keeping it and hoping to get 300k to 500k miles out of this car.

I don't know if this is a forum where you can comment, but if it is, maybe tell me if I am out of my mind for deciding to keep this car? Regardless, thanks for listening!

By on 10/24/11 | St. Paul, MN
This thing is a tank!! It is not a Corvette but I can go for years without repair!! 190,499 miles. Typical maintenance and nothing else! Gets 30 mpg!!
By on 3/13/09 | Nome, AK
I own this car. I've been running this car since it came off the lot NEW in 1996. I've replaced the following: an engine (after 319,000KM) after a water pump failed [twice (1999, 2008)], radiator (hole found), Boots L and R, clutch plate, brakes (2004), air blower (2003 and again in 2009). I've run this car mostly on the highway in some of the coldest, harshest climates on this planet. I used this to get to and from industrial construction sites all over Alberta, Canada. The seats need replacing in the front along with the carpet on the floor. If someone asked me if I got my money's worth? Did I EVER!! The best car I've ever owned for durability and ease on my pocket book. Normally, I toss away a car after 5 years. This one I've now kept running for over 13 years. Sure it devaluated abit. But it's easy on the gas budget. It's reliable even by today's standards... and I'm driving an advertisement for Toyota now.