1998 Toyota Tacoma Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1998 Toyota Tacoma owners like you.

1998 Toyota Tacoma Ratings Overview
4 car owners like you reviewed their 1998 Toyota Tacoma. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
By on 12/26/13 | Waianae, HI
Aloha! I bought my 1998 3.4L SR5 5 Speed Extended cab with only 26,000 miles on it. It is a 2 Wheel Drive, NOT a 4X4. Lots of Power, Good Gas Mileage, Loaded. I would have preferred a 2.4L Engine. This V 6 Has Enough Power to Keep up with Some V8s. No Trouble at all with this truck. Usual Maintenance Plugs and Air Filter. Only 86,000 Miles on it. Looks and drives like New.
By on 3/25/11 | Carrollton, TX
I have owned this 4wd 2.7L truck from new. It has 237000 miles and I have only replaced the belts once. I will drive this until it dies....
By on 9/9/10 | Dudley, NC
I bought this about 11 years from a dealer in Texas. It had 35,000 miles when I bought it and now it has 348,000 miles. That's right. I love this truck!!! My wife and kids always ask when I'm going to buy a "big" truck. I just say "when the wheels fall off from driving it." I might start thinking about it when I get 500,000 miles on it. I keep all the normal maintenance up on it - oil, tires, spark plug wires, spark plugs, shocks, brakes, etc. It's been a great truck. I hit a deer a few years ago. I thought the insurance was going to total it, so I started looking and found another 1998 Tacoma that I was ready to buy. I didn't have to. Just wanted to share some good news about these very reliable trucks.
By on 4/22/10 | Gulfport, MS
This has been a great truck with very little problems other than usual wear & tear. I have over 206,000 miles. The ride is stiff but it is a Pre-runner on a 4 wd chassis. the seats are uncomfortable for drives over an hour. The engine is a little underpowered for a 4 cylinder. Great gas milage with a/c on. Avg. 22mpg on hwy. Transmission will jump into neutral if if floor it on take off. Never have changed the timing chain. Change oil between 7500-10000 miles, using Castrol Synethic. Overall a great truck.