1999 Pontiac Grand Am Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1999 Pontiac Grand Am owners like you.

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Ratings Overview
7 car owners like you reviewed their 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 7/3/12 | Coatesville, PA
Had overheating problem that brought me cross country, but it's under control and only replaced a few usual items once since I bought it in 1999. It's been great for years and up to 220,000 miles. Best car I've ever driven and have been happy driving it. Only a few little glitches, but overall a great car to drive. I've driven across the US 6 times, 4 Canadian provinces and will soon drive through the last 3 of the lower 48 states I haven't yet driven through. Great car.
By on 9/6/11 | Liverpool, NY
Piece of junk... no wonder pontiac is out of business, replaced head gasket cause pontiac didnt want to do a recall, windshield leaks, trunk leaks, all four window assemlies inside the door had to be replaced, all plastic parts shattered , brake lines blew out, ac doesnt work, and it only has 68,000 miles on it!!!. abs and trac lights stay on... could go on but would run out of room!!
By on 6/1/11 | Jessup, PA
I bought this car from a dealer. I believe it was not serviced before it was sold. I have replaced the pulley, the belt, the alternator, changed the oil, replaced the front brakes. I do have a problem that when I use the gas pedal it makes a shrieking sound. Sounded like the alternator when I first started the car up now that the alternator is in, the sound only happens when I put my foot on the gas pedal. I will be coasting alot I think, as I definitely do not want to announce my arrival every where I go. I like the trunk space although it does leak and the seats in the car are comfortable and attractive. I do not care for the blind spot on the drivers side. It is attractive and a good grocery car, I just wish there was more hand-on info for older Pontiac cars.
By on 3/30/11 | Portage, MI
I have a '99 Grand Am SE. I LOVE IT!!! There is 197,000 miles and going string. Ive owned it for 2 years now and have had no major problems. I replaced the thermostat, brake caliper and thats about it. I do have a problem with my trunk getting water in it and also the rear fascia lights have standing water! My transmission slips sometimes. I find it very weird that there is no place to check your fluid unless you take it to a dealer/mechanic. My son will soon be 15 so I am giving him "Cherry Bomb". He doesnt like it because its a 2-door. The only reason for that is because he has gotten his foot caught in the seatbelt trying to get out of the back seat and fallen flat on his face. Anyways......Love my car!! Would get another in the blink of an eye!!!! PONTIAC BABY!!
By < of on 9/14/10 | Grove City, OH
I own a 99' Grand AM GT, and I love it, it has 160K on it and I have been maintaining this vehilce since it had 20K on it. Runs strong every day for me
By on 9/6/09 | Atascadero, CA
One of the best cars I have ever owned. it has 230,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with the engine. A few problems with the brakes and air cond. but that is all. An excellent car!
By on 8/3/09 | Clemson, SC
I got mine at 83,000 miles, currently I'm at 202,000 (over 5 years). I've replaced the rack and pinion twice and still have a problems with it. Other than that I've just replaced common items like the water pump, vacuum hoses, tires, and brakes. The problem with my rack and pinion is that it leaks power steering fluid. Both times I got it replaced by a 3rd party repair shop and both times it worked for a year and then started leaking and popping again. Since my water pump replacement I've been taking it to the Pontiac dealership and I haven't had the same issue twice. For the rack and pinion I just fill up the power steering fluid every 3 months, because it's 1200 to fix it by the dealership.