1998 Mercedes-Benz SL600 Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL600 owners like you.

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL600 Ratings Overview
4 car owners like you reviewed their 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL600. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 1/9/18 | Huntington Beach, CA | Car Owner
First off the guy in these reviews who daily drives a Lexus .....or I should say a Toyota (because thats all a Lexus is - is a glamorized Toyota) is comparing apples to Oranges my Fiance Grant has a 98 SL600 that is so Awesome his car blows away Lexus and Infiniti and Acura cars all the time along with the Camaro's, Mustangs, Chargers, Porsche's, BMW's, Audi's, and every little Rice burner out there. If you have an SL600 you are in possession of something very special. His car gets people staring at the car all the time I think the R129 Mercedes are by far the best looking Roadsters Mercedes has ever made.
If you want a daily NO THRILLS BORING Car buy a Lexus, Honda, Kia or any American car. But if you want a really HOT SEXY FUN as HELL CLASSY and FAST car then buy a Mercedes SL600 or even an SL500 that I drive
Christy Lattanzi (or at least soon will be : )
Yes, I would recommend this car.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 1/9/18 | Costa Mesa, CA | Car Owner
First off people who are considering buying this car need to understand this car is an Exotic - How many cars out there on the road do you see have 12 Cylinder engines? - Just so you know 12 Cylinder engines are Exotics because of the rarity of the engine. Cars that do have 12 Cylinders are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Vector, and BMW (750 I & 850 I) now often do you see these cars on the road? even the BMW's I listed you rarely see. This should tell you if you have an SL600 you have a very special car. The car gets looks wherever I go, and always gets a lot of questions about it. Of all the cars listed Mercedes has managed to create an Exotic with Honda reliability, its incredible how little maintenance my car needs. The car is so Fast !! I beat Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's on a regular basis - The car has so much Torque and what makes this car special is the torque is across the board no matter what gear your in. this car was engineered to perform !!
Yes, I would recommend this car.
By on 9/29/14 | Churubusco, NY
I bought my car about 8 years ago for a Summer cruiser. I like the looks of the car and it's smooth ride. It is my first Mercedes. I am a better than average wrench when working on a car. My daily driver is a Lexus LS 460 and have been driving Lexus since 2000. I am used to premium luxury and I have to say, the Mercedes has been a bit of a disappointment. The SL 600 was the top of the line 2 seater and sold above $100,000 and yet there has hardly been a year where I didn't have an issue of some kind. Suspension problems, engine coils, air conditioning, convertible top problems and now an engine light. This car has less than 56,000 miles. This is NOT what I expected and when Lexus finally builds a sporty convertible I will sell this beautiful looking car.
By on 7/23/12 | Anniston, AL
Hello everyone.

This is my view on these machines. I have a 1998 SL600 and her name is Lisa (as in Mona Lisa and yes, I name my automobiles).

Please, remember that these cars are not simple Ford Mustangs or Mazda Miatas with hood stars. Mercedes SLs are cars for people that understand and/or enjoy complex machines (or that have mechanics that do if they don't). Think Swiss timepiece - Not something you just buy to tell time with. If that's what you're after, get the Mazda.

You also shouldn't buy one if you are bargain shopping or trying to impress someone - especially if you can't afford the fuel costs or maintenance. You'd be better of training on a simpler, cheaper automobile. Personally, I love them to death and I'm very mechanically inclined yet I still get goose bumps when I think of changing the plugs or playing with the hydraulic suspension on this V12.

However, if you are ready for one of these beauties, they are a real pleasure to have and just like anything else that is well made, they were designed by engineers that know their stuff and these cars were built to last with expensive materials and highly skilled labor.

You are making an investment with a Mercedes S-class or SL. Buy one that was taken care of properly by someone who loved it then you do the same. Keep in mind that this is a machine designed and built by humans - not gods. There will be problems. There always are. It's just a matter of perspective.