1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E owners like you.

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E Ratings Overview
4 car owners like you reviewed their 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E. The average rating is a 3.5 out of 5.
By on 10/7/13 | Rocklin, CA
I bought the car, 1989 190E 2.6, with 100K miles about 6 months ago off Craigslist. It wasn't running but it was very inexpensive and cosmetically excellent. The owner before me drove it home from work one day, 2 1/2 years ago and it quit and he left it in the driveway. I paid the $500 he was asking and towed her home. This is what she needed and I did all the work myself:
New Battery-$60
New Voltage Regulator-$32
New Front Strut Mounts-$65
New Plugs and Wires-$90
Change the Brake Fluid-$8
Everything works and she runs great. What a great deals I got!!!! Very thankful!!!!
By on 11/11/10 | Middletown, NY
stable , fun driving car. Too many problems. specially electrical. Poor
head valve design caused early failure. Not what Mercedes was, should be.
By on 4/24/10 | Birmingham, MI
I purchased my 1990 190e 2.6L 6-cyl, with 176,000 on it in Royal Oak, MI from Karl Heinz Automotive, a private repair garage owned by a previous BMW-M-B mechanic who went out on his own years ago.

From the records, it seems like the previous owner purchased the car about 10 years ago with 120K on it and had it as a 2nd car. Much had been repaired on the car including paint, the heater core and anything else that needed it when the time came. I was out of a job at the time (I came from the automotive business in the Detroit metro area- no surprises here) so the price the price was a godsend. The repair shop said "everything worked" which meant that it had the main things like the brakes, exhaust system., A/C, new Brillstein shocks, replaced recently and the head and valves had been done within the last two years. The previous owner had been a Tuskegee airman, now in his 90s, and I regret not having been able to meet him as the car was sold on consignment.

The car needed tires and has a yet to be resolved problem with starting when warmed up and the tac rising to 2000 RPM, but it's been a pleasure to drive and my wife enjoys driving it as well. It's a classy old car and it treats us good, but I want to get the starting problem fixed before I destroy something beyond my ability to get repaired because of cost.
I'll be back at work in a week or two and hope to catch up with the repairs. I love the car and if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd get a new E-Class Cabriolet for the wife, but I'd gladly keep the 190 2.6 for me and enjoy fixing it up. H. H. Birmingham, MI
By on 2/10/10 | Gastonia, NC
This car has been a joy to own. Transmission went at 120,000 miles and there have been a few minor electrical problems, but overall it's been great. At 180,000 miles my A/C is out and I need advice on what to fix.