2003 Jeep Liberty Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2003 Jeep Liberty owners like you.

2003 Jeep Liberty Ratings Overview
8 car owners like you reviewed their 2003 Jeep Liberty. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 8/4/17 | Wynnewood, PA
I've been running my 2003 Liberty for around 3 years now and covered 25,000 miles in that time. It's a 4x4 Limited with auto transmission and is at its best during the snow season, where it climbs out over small drifts like no other 4x4 I've driven.
Overall it's a decent truck, it's comfortable (albeit a little basic) and it's never had a problem starting. I've had issues and needed to replace 3 window regulators (don't get me started on this), the rotors all round, a new radiator, AC condenser, battery, alternator, transmission solenoids, O2 sensor and windscreen washer pump. Including the oil changes, which I'd recommend every 3,000 miles, I'm into around $5k in repairs on this car in 3 years. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but am hopeful that the next 3 years will be a little easier on me. My mechanic heard a light rumbling in the rear diff, but only with a stethoscope and I know the rear shocks need replacing this year.
At this age and mileage I've read that $1500/year isn't uncommon for repairs and maintenance on 8k-10k miles per year. For me that's still better than a car payment on a replacement, which could also be expensive.
I'm planning to run it up to around 160k miles and expecting to budget $120 per month on repairs. Overall, that seems to be a fair running cost for a 14 year old truck.
The bodywork is in great condition, although the clear coat has recently peeled on the roof. The alloy wheels are pitted, but I'm not planning to make pretty on the cosmetics of this truck so happy to live with it. The gas mileage is terrible, but with low gas prices and low mileage I'm not too worried about that.
In general I think it's a lot of fun, great in the snow with 4WD engaged (not so great in the wet with normal 2WD) and it's got plenty of space for hauling things around. I think I'd still take on a road trip of 1000 miles without much hesitation.
By on 1/15/12 | Dundalk, MD
I have a 2003 jeep liberty and I love the truck great in so many ways,it is a 5spd manual 4dr 4x4, The problem I am having only when I back up or the truck is cold it makes a grinding sound like something under the truck wants to or is going to snap in half I have had the ball joints replaced and no I am trying to find out if anyone is having or has had the same problem and could somehow point me to what this could be.It almost sounds like it could be something to do with the axle but I am not sure and I know that something like that will probably run me alot of money so any suggestions or help would be greatly appericated. Thank you very much
By on 12/29/10 | Anthony, KS
Reliable and easy to repair. I have had two Jeeps, both saved me, after minor collisions. Had 2002, then 2003 which I still have. I expect this one to last awhile, I have no desire to get a new car,because a person never knows what the robots may have forgotten.
By on 11/23/10 | Rochester, MI
I've had the 03 Liberty since new ....90K miles on it . Most reliable vehicle I ever had .
Only needed oli changes and brakes . Got rear ended when stopped once by F 150 .
... Rear mounted Spare tire bounced the Jeep nicely forward.... no dents ; no damage .

F 150 could not be driven ....crumple zone crumpled nicely .

The Liberty is a real beast in the Michigan snow with good winter tires on it . Selec-Trac transfer case with full time 4X4 option is a must .
By on 6/9/10 | Shapleigh, ME
I've had this vehicle for 7 months. Excellent little car, recently had a roll over with multiple rotations and I self extricated and walked away with minimal injuries!!!! looking for another Jeep, excellent safety!
By on 1/11/10 | Bronx, NY
I purchased a used 03 jeep liberty sport. 3.7 v6 automatic. Ever since I purchased in Begining of Sept. '08 I havent stopped spending money and I will continue spending. Recently the vechile is starting 2 give real problems. RPM decreasing while driving speradically n sounds of water running through the pipes or dashboard of the car while driving. the heat/ac does not work unless in 4 or 1-3 you can feel slightly while driving. Not 2 mention the squeaking noise coming from the rear after all brake pads n rotors have been replaced.
By on 8/19/09 | Budd Lake, NJ
Love my Jeep Liberty! It's a sturdy little vehicle and I've only had the lower ball joint problem to contend with as far as repairs. The only thing I don't like is the interior lighting is too sparce. When I looking for something in the back, the overhead lights are too far away to illuminate the area. That's my only beef.
By on 9/21/08 | Hampton, VA
This has been a great truck. I have the renegade package and I love it. I bought it new and I have only had one major problem which was fixed under warranty\recall. Only problem now is the gas mileage since gas prices have started to sore.