2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac owners like you.

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Ratings Overview
5 car owners like you reviewed their 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 10/14/14 | Braselton, GA
Just traded in my 2003 with 318,648 miles on it. Probably could have kept going but it just seemed like time. No major repairs just preventive maintenance. Bought a 2010 with 90,000 mile son it. We will see how it holds up.
By on 7/26/14 | Key Colony Beach, FL
The secret is out. This may be the best vehicle Ford has ever produced. This was a one year old dealers personal car.
Originally there were some problems, all covered under warranty.
The driveshaft had to be replaced, as well as ome other parts.
Much later, around 70K, the exhaust system was leaking.
The front hubs apparently, like brake shoes, need replacing every 60K.
Since then I have been careful with the maintenance, so now it looks, runs and feels like a new car.
I replaced the exhaust system with a SS upmarket version. The air intake horn was thrown away and an L and N filter installed.
The dealer had a performance chip installed so it runs best on premium gas, with ethanol its OK.
The difference in power is quite a surprise. This is a 4 wheel drive with all options.
Originally I had the only one in my area. Not anymore.
I've done 6 very long distance drives, on one I pulled a sailboat on a trailer , over 4,000 pounds, for 1800 miles, lousy gas mileage.
By on 9/28/11 | Madison, SD
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Except for the alternator going out at 85,000 miles, it's been a pretty good truck. Now, I have an issue with my brakes squeaking when I back up - only when I back up. I've spent $500 on new brakes, calipers, etc and it still squeaks. My mechanic even put in Ford parts - no change. It's very annoying
By on 3/25/11 | London, KY
We have had our 03 SportTrac since Oct 2009, and the only problem I should mention is the crappy positioning of the inerita switch right under the passenger dashboard. If you have a long legged person riding shotgun, you need to make them aware not to put their feet too far up under the dashboard by the passenger door, or YOUR TRUCK WILL LOSE FUEL TO THE ENGINE AND YOU WILL LOSE POWER STEERING!!! This is actually a safety feature to keep you from being cooked alive should you be rear ended or in some other kind of accident, which isn't a bad thing, as long as you are aware of where it is.
By on 8/26/10 | Paradise, CA
Great truck (75,000 miles) with one big exception. Three times, in as many months,after parking it has failed to start. First diagnosis "faulty alarm" ($ 600.00) Next diagnosis "bad fuel pump" This is costing me $ 720.00. After this I'm not sure what to do if the problem continues...