2006 Ford Explorer Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2006 Ford Explorer owners like you.

2006 Ford Explorer Ratings Overview
14 car owners like you reviewed their 2006 Ford Explorer. The average rating is a 3.5 out of 5.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 5/26/18 | Tucson, AZ | Car Owner
An internet purchase for us, not that this is relevant. Bought the card at 59k miles, low for an '06. I read through the other reviews and noticed a trend on broken radiators around 60k miles and I'll be damned if mine did not break at 61k. Cracked along the top tank. So you can probably count on this one happening at some point.

Transmission had a shift issue that felt like driving over a cattle guard and it hunted a bit. Took it to a reputable shop who diagnosed wrong fluid in the tranny. Basic design is supposed to be solid. Sure enough, after a thorough flush that cleared right up.

I had the plugs replaced and two of them were locked in, apparently common to the ford 3V motors, there is even a kit for this.

Interior is decent, the door handle pulls are a bit awkward. V8 is snappy and powerful, a little heavy on fuel for a modern engine but gets 22-24 on hwy and 13-15 in town.

It is a well configured in town vehicle for a large family. We'll see on mtx over time.
Yes, I would recommend this car.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 5/12/18 | Cleveland, OH | Car Owner
For a ford product I wasn’t happy with this truck. Cost me tons of money but the body looks great. I put my company logo all over it and now it’s a paper weight for our front lol. I have three ford tow trucks 7.3 diesel love them won’t buy nothing but a ford. But the Explorer was a bad bad design and many faulty parts
No, I would not recommend this car.
By on 7/8/15 | New Orleans, LA
I never owned or drove something so worst as the Explorer its a piece of junk ever nor will never buy a Ford again. Had tons of problems with electrical system plus got three batteries all in one year can't believe that a truck only nine years old nothing but problems. Did have a 1992 Explorer lasted 350,000miles now my 2006 is terrible but too ashamed of trading or selling guess going to give up the ghost let it sit right in front of my home until a cement truck or drunk driver comes flying pass by will damaged it for good. The engine is costly in repairs...Tranny blew five times and all window motors have all mind of its own paid so much. The main repairs are very expensive like engine and trannies fixing in high bills one day it left me stranded the mechanic couldn't figure out what is the cause of these things happening to my Explorer. Put lots of faith into my truck because of last Ford I've owned now had nothing but problems after purchased my Explorer in 2007 with 0 miles gave me so much trouble. Spent lot on brakes changed pads/calipers now its another problem got take back into shop for tomorrow something is wrong with brake lines even the ABS indicator light flashing after this last repair will be taking off the tags and dropping insurance off it than look at another really good dependable vehicle until figure out what kind of make and model want to drive as my next new car purchased.
By on 5/28/15 | Queenstown, MD
My 2006 Ford Explorer just clicked 200,000 miles. Only substantial repairs have been U-bolts and a water pump.
By on 4/2/14 | Tuckahoe, NY
My First new Ford Explorer was a 1997 v8; wonderful with 232,000 miles on it. Bought new 2006 v8 Ford Explorer, and what a nightmare. Many problems. Notably, radiator was replaced 12/2011 cost $634.00 Radiator just went again. I learned that faulty radiators have been a major issue since 2006 came out. Ford is aware of this and never did a recall, or extended warranty. Buyers of FORDS and suckers beware. I no longer support FORD nor will I ever say anything positive about Fords ever again. Hall of Shame on Ford!
By on 1/3/13 | Bel Air, MD
Bought my 2006 Explorer Limited V-8 with 32,000 miles in January 2010. Now has 67000 miles. Had electrical short and rear lights stopped working, transmission hard to shift from Park into any gear and had to have the shifter replaced, radiator replaced due to leaking, both power third row seats broke and had to have the motors replaced. Other items have just been normal maintenance. Lucky I bought an extended warranty from CarMax for about $1200, as the repairs amounted to about $2000, but only had to pay $50 deductible for each repair (all repairs occurred at different times). Overall like to vehicle and it drives and rides great due to the independent rear suspension, which makes the ride very smooth. Would buy another Explorer, and would make sure I got an extended warranty to cover these expensive repairs.
By on 3/6/12 | Monument, CO
I have had my 06' Explorer for 6 years - bought it new. The only problems I've had is the radiator going out at 60,000 and the fan motor for the heater melting. I haven't had to replace the brakes yet and I am at 110,000 miles! Will be doing that soon even though the mechanic says it's not necessary.

I absolutely love this car! It is great in the snow here in Colorado and I lug around a large dog and 3 kids every day. Great car...
By on 7/3/11 | Binger, OK
Had the Explorer over 5 years, NO Problems. Good running, quick, agile, good in bad weather. My wife's car; fits her to a T. Her second Explorer. A little tight for me, and impossible with my cowboy hat on.
By on 2/9/11 | Akron, AL
just love my Explorer 2006 works perfectly no problems at all rides and handles well excellent car in the snow and ice here in Iceland it is driven 50.000 km and just needs new tyres .............
By on 11/10/10 | Walnut Grove, MS
I have only had my 2006 Ford Explorer of 2 years. When I first got it everything was working fine. After the first three months, the heating and air conditioning when bad, in the middle of the winter season. The AC worked fine, but the heater only blow cold air. I took it to the dealer ship and got that fixed, problem: Bad Themostat. Then about six months I how a problem with a sensor that cause the engine to shut off and steering to tighten up, all while driving. Of course back to the dealer ship I went and got fixed. Okay to shorten this up, other problems I've had are: blowen head gasket caused a $4000 engine repair, and line for wiper fluid for back window broke, wiper fluid was would leak down through the roof the interior of the truck.

All in all, DON'T BUY THIS **** TRUCK!!!
By on 8/20/10 | Hanceville, AL
THe 2006 model explorer has issues with faulty radiators and throttle bodies. I have had to have 2 radiators replaced at only 57,000 miles. Now the "wrench light is on. I was told is was probably a bad throttle body. The car has around 58,000 miles. Would not buy another.
By on 7/15/10 | Somerset, NJ
Our 2006 Explorer has been trouble-free since we bought it new. It will soon have 60k miles on it. The OEM tires may need to be replaced soon, and I have to bring it in to the dealer to address the shift-linkage recall campaign.

Other than that, hope to continue the good luck we've had with it!

Cheers....
By on 7/23/09 | Pittsburg, NH
Bought my 2006 explorer 6 months ago 37000 miles on it.The engine hesitates at 55 MPH and I hear a buzzing noise when engine shifts,possibly a loose heatshield.Replaced spark plugs also PCV valve which is heated (5hrs to change PVC)No check engine light so tech.can,t fix. NO MORE FORDS
By on 4/20/09 | Goshen, VA
Have 55000 miles on Explorer. Engine light has been on 3 times. Over two thousand dollars spent to repair the engine light problems. If your engine light comes on, take it for a check-up ASAP. Ford could have done much better on the design of the panel. If the car was driven to work 5 days per week I would have sold it long ago. My wife works a few hours a week and is pretty much its only driver. You know, she wouldn't part with it. She loves that SUV.