1999 Ford Explorer Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1999 Ford Explorer owners like you.

1999 Ford Explorer Ratings Overview
7 car owners like you reviewed their 1999 Ford Explorer. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 3/31/18 | Langley, OK | Car Owner
I tried to find a problem and I couldn't... Love this ride except for the MPGs ... But I can fix that.
Yes, I would recommend this car.
By on 3/13/12 | Oakville, CT
BOUGHT A 99 XLT IN 2005 WITH APROX. 80,000 MILES. HANDLES GOOD IN ALL WEATHER. HAD TO REPLACE TIMING COVER GASKET IN 2007 AND TRANS. WENT IN 2008 (SUPPOSEDLY A SEAL) HAVE TO ADD A QT. OF OIL EVERY 1K-1500 MILES DUE TO REAR MAIN LEAK (V-8) NEEDS ANOTHER WHELL BEARING AND A FEW MINOR PROBLEMS. FOR THE MOST PART IT'S STRONG AND DEPENDABLE AND CURRENTLY HAS 256,000 MILES.
By on 7/9/11 | Forsyth, GA
wen cool in there morning when you crank
By on 12/17/08 | Midvale, UT
I bought My 99` explorer 3 years ago, and only put 7000 miles ontop of the 148000 that was already on it. At this point I`d say this vehicle is a great truck in all kinds of weather(rain, snow and sun). the only problem I`ve had is repeat CHECK ENGINE light comes on. When this happens I get code(s)PO171 andPO174,These are bank1 and bank2 running lean!. At this point I have replaced everything but the EGRsensor
By on 2/28/10 | Needham, MA
I bought the SUV used at 68000. It now has 90000. Had the manifold replaced and some tie rod work. The a/c will need correction this summer ('10) as well as the fan switch. The SUV rides like a truck - typically bumpy, but the AWD is fantastic - never had a problem getting through snow or sleet. The power steering requires high effort, but tracks straight. I've had the SUV for 5 years now and it runs great. No engine/tran problems. All electrics work fine (except as noted.) Body has no rust.
By on 8/28/09 | Miami, FL
I've had my Explorer for 10 years now,it had 7 miles when I brought it and now I have 222,652 miles. Beside the 3 recalls, the hood, the seatbelt and the tires I must say I've had no major problems until now (Engine oil pump)and I'm not going to complain. Thumbs up to Ford!
By on 3/15/09 | Arlington, VA
I have a ford explor limited adition and I love it! It has 163,000miles on it on it and the most trouble I have with it is keep replacing bearings. My radio fads in and out, and sunroof stopped working, and heated seats on driver side. To me this is a normal stuff considering the yr. Other then that I love it and very glad I made my choice.
I bought cash froma dealer in Pa e-burg. paid 9,000 for it back in 2003. I was wondering to can I have my bearing just repaired instead of replacing? I failed inspection because of the bearing, and muffler needs repairing (normal wear, rusted) and they said something about my head lights needing ajusting...never heard of that. I figure I just get new ones since I have never had'em replaced in the first place. Also my new tires in 2005, should I get new ones? Cost so much to get four tires!!
I live in Va Crystal City so I do not drive it much just to gorcery store and once a month maybe up to PA n Jersey. Other then that it sites in underground parking and I just start it up every now and again. Sometimes I drive around town just to get motor going a bit.