1996 Ford Explorer Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1996 Ford Explorer owners like you.

1996 Ford Explorer Ratings Overview
7 car owners like you reviewed their 1996 Ford Explorer. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
Value
Fuel Economy
Safety
Interior
Comfort
Performance
By on 9/19/18 | Richmond, VA | Car Owner
I have so much to say about this SUV. Once again, Ford outdid themselves. I too had the Eddie Bauer edition and it was so reliable, it was a workhorse. When it first came out, big SUVs weren't around, this was the "big SUV." it was spacious and just an amazing car.
Yes, I would recommend this car.
By on 1/21/16 | Twin Falls, ID
I love my Eddie Bauer ! I've had it for 10 years and it's had a few repairs but I am willing to pay what for any repair it may need. It's been so reliable and easy to drive in bad weather. We love taking it on the back roads using 4wheel drive. I recommend that anyone who owns in to keep it instead of buying something new. It's worth it!
By on 6/2/12 | Greensburg, KY
my 96 explorer keeps braking flywills it has hapend twice so far i just got a knew one witha a knew starter but it is still acting the same when you start the truck it makes a screatch like the starter isent disingaging fast enuf but it just dus it when you start it
By on 5/20/11 | Mayfield, KY
MY NAME IS ARCHIE I HAVE A 1996 FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER EDITION 4WD I BOUGHT LAST YEAR AND IT HAS 260,000 MILES AND STILL RUNNING A STRONG BULL I TRY TO GO 4X4 IN THE MUD WITH IT IN 4WD AND WENT THREW 3 MUD HOLES GOT STUCK PUT IT IN 4LOW CAM RIGHT OUT NOW BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS EXPLORER IT CAME FROM IND. TRANSFER CASE FLUID WAS BAD SO I FIGURE I GET EVER THING UPGRADE AND FLUIDS CHANGE AND GET THE CARBON OUT OF THE ENGIE SHE WILL GET MORE POWER
By on 6/29/10 | Norwalk, CA
I purchased my 1996 Explorer in 2003 and I've been happily driving it ever since. I've had to replace the transmission on it and thats the only major work I've had to do. With regular maintenance this car has lasted through a daily work commute, a trip to and from Mexico City from Los Angeles, CA, hauling, and whatever I need it for. It now has over 280,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ! I LOVE this car and wouldn't part with it for a bit!
By on 4/15/09 | Maysville, KY
Ihave had my explorer for 7 years and my truck is still running very good. I`m starting to feel a little transmission slippage,but i have about 160,000 miles on it.
By on 12/8/08 | South San Francisco, CA
We bought this Ford explorer new in 1996 after looking at Nissan pathfinder and Toyota 4 Runner we decided the explorer because of the 302 V8 engine, with 182,000 miles on it, still runs strong and looks good. The engine , brakes, transmission are holding up well.