2003 Dodge Dakota Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2003 Dodge Dakota owners like you.

2003 Dodge Dakota Ratings Overview
5 car owners like you reviewed their 2003 Dodge Dakota. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
By on 10/18/13 | Peoria, AZ
I bought my Dakota from a Dodge dealership in 2004 with 30,000 miles on it. All maintenance has been done by the selling dealership, and for having 160,000 miles now, maintenance requirements have bee acceptable with two exceptions. I have an extended cab SXT in 2WD with the 3.9 V-6 engine. Unlike my previous 1997 Dakota, which had the exact same engine and displacement, same transmission and differential, this truck has had poor engine performance. No bottom, mid-range, or top end through all gears, and just downright sluggish. But even worse than that is the water pump. I've just recently been told the 4th water pump that's been in the truck is now going out. Aside from the original water pump that went 70k, I've averaged from 13-31,000 between water pumps!! And its unfortunate, since I have liked the look of the Dakota, the handling, and the mid-size.
By on 9/5/13 | Woodland, WA
I have had my Dakota tor 2 years and other than the brakes I have had no trouble. This vehicle has well over 100,000 miles and runs great. This is a quad cab with no issues and is m favorite vehicle to drive. In my driving life I have owned several of all brands of pickup trucks including some Dodges and find then a reliable vehicle with the exception of the brakes and this has been an issue with Chrysler since the late 1960's that I am aware of.
By on 1/1/10 | Gig Harbor, WA
Had this truck for 3 years now. Very well maintained since new. Had no issues until just recently, at only 88k miles, the head gasket blew. After fixing, I decided to sell & buy a Toyota.
By on 10/25/09 | Kent, WA
Good vehicle that does almost everything a full size truck can do but still fits in a standard two car garage. I have towed filled trailers across the Rockies during the hottest part of the summer with ease, but it is still my daily driver.

The rear differential of this vehicle (at least in the 2003 model year) has a flaw that will go unnoticed until you are broken on the side of the highway, unless you change your own differential fluids. When I did this at 30K miles I noticed large metal shavings and took it in to the dealer. It was covered under warranty, but if I didn't do my own minor repair work, this would have gone unnoticed until the rear differential self destructed.
By on 2/7/09 | Glenn Dale, MD
2003 Dakota Sport Plus Quad cab, 4x4, 4.7L V8, I had very few isses with this truck and have 115K miles on it.