2004 BMW X5 Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2004 BMW X5 owners like you.

2004 BMW X5 Ratings Overview
5 car owners like you reviewed their 2004 BMW X5. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 11/28/17 | Elmhurst, IL
I've just read all of the reviews that people have posted on the BMW X5. I'm on my fourth X5 and I must be the luckiest person int the world. I've purchased them brand new and used. The one I currently have is an '04 which had 163K miles on it when I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago, and it now has 185K miles on it.Since i purchased it, I've put on new tires, battery, windshield wipers, changed the oil, and had the AC recharged.
All of them have been the 3.0 model for 2 reasons; 1) the transmission that they have installed gives you plenty of acceleration with a 6 cylinder, and 2) every mechanic I have spoken to has told me NEVER to buy the 8 cylinder model used because the engine develops more torque than the transmission can handle for a vehicle that weighs almost 2.5 tons, which when beat on as many people think it's a sport SUV, will be inclined to do which results in transmission issues.
Another suggestion I have is that in this day and age, once your vehicle is off warranty, virtually any repair shop has the ability to work on these vehicles for a majority of maintenance issues. I would avoid going to the BMW dealer at all costs. I had a front blinker light go out, and the dealer wanted $300 to replace it, but when I took it to NTB, they charged me $5 to replace it when I had the tires replaced.
You can purchase a diagnostic device call Blue Driver for $99 that will be able to function as good if not better than most equipment that mechanics have. I had issues passing my emissions test in IL, I took it to a mechanic and he told me to take it to the dealer because his equipment couldn't sort it out. I took a chance and spent the $99. You plug it in to your emissions OB2 and install the software on your phone. It will give you the possible issues that you are dealing with in order of commonalty. It turned out that all I needed was a new air filter, and I passed my emissions test. It will also reset all of the service indicators once you have corrected them.
Another suggestion is to source your own parts on Amazon or Ebay. I can get an OEM set of rotors and brake pads made in the US for under $250 (all 4 wheels) and have the mechanic install them if they are legit, because they aren't concerned about hitting a home run off of you for parts. If you purchase one of these without a pre-inspection or a good Carmax record, you only have yourself to blame.
By on 1/25/11 | Westfield, NJ
my 2004 x 5 looks great, but so many problems at only 58k .this may be my last bmw.
By on 8/19/10 | Lees Summit, MO
2004 x5 4.2 has many minor issues around 100K despite regular routine maintenance. Blower fan running right now despite having parked in the drive a 7:30 p, great riding mobile.
By on 7/25/10 | Shingle Springs, CA
This vehicle is my life line when it comes to my occupation. I am so impressed with the reliability! I have 155,000 miles and counting. It is still like a new car
By on 4/15/09 | Conyers, GA
Fantastic car. Especially love the tailgate on this model. Drives like a dream in rain & snow.