1998 BMW 540i Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1998 BMW 540i owners like you.

1998 BMW 540i Ratings Overview
6 car owners like you reviewed their 1998 BMW 540i. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
By on 1/29/13 | Stone Mountain, GA
My 540I runs like a charm,I had problems with the Body control computer( this controls all the lights) i had to replace some of the solid state relays in it ( in the passenger side kick panel),the shaking caused by the old control arms was gone as soon as i replaced then.i only have one problem left the check break fluid warning on the dash ( working on it ).I will tell u about that as soon as i am done
By on 12/3/12 | Brewster, NY
Good day,
I have a question on the alarmsystem of a 1998 540i,ijust cant get the alarm switched off i eventuly disconected the battery,checked the key battery,gone through the system by doing a visual check, no success at all please let me know if this is a comon occurance with alarm system i only have the car for about 6 months.
Please help
I live in South Africa hence no zip code.
Clive
By on 8/25/11 | Oklahoma City, OK
Purchased it in July 2011, 74000 miles on it. the alternator, power steering pump, both serpentine belts and supply hose to the power steering pump were all bad. I opted to put on new rotors and brake pads. Changed to high speed tires (had 112 MPH on it) now has 168 MPH. Had both rear window corner screens dangling took them apart and fixed them. Lots of little things needed attention, trunk tool box hold up screw was broken, head light adjustment on both lights were broken (replaced with projectors). Last things to fix are the wheel well liners are shattered, brittle plastic or something. There is a little bit of shake when slowing from 70 in the front end acts like a warped rotor, but is intermittent. Now that it is all done driving it as compared to my Mercedes SLK is so much better, it out accelerates and out handles that car hands down. It is quiet, sure footed and comfortable. The sport seats make this a great long distance driver. Anyone with a modest budget and some mechanical knowledge would appreciate the simplicity of the car but know the upkeep of it is a little more involved than your typical chevy or ford. Bottom line, this is a drivers car, it is very fast, and handles extremely well, predictable handling makes even a novice feel like a accomplished driver. When I was a kid working on my first 55 chevy this is what I wanted it to work like. Awesome car......
By on 10/4/10 | Germantown, WI
Problems with front end suspension
AC has never worked properly
By on 4/2/10 | Henderson, NV
Absolute blast to drive. 123k on it, no major problems. Still smokes all them mustangs/camero's/etc... Nothing like merging onto a highway at 120 mpg with two finger on the wheel - LOVE IT.
By on 4/1/10 | Boulder, CO
I bought my 540 July 2008 with only 47,000 miles on it. I also bought an extended warranty that more than paid for itself at 82,000 miles. I LOVE this car! At about 54,000 miles replaced the radiator (covered by warranty) and a hose. I have replaced brake pads and done oil changes myself. Power steering hose leaks a little due to clamps loosening up (no big deal). Steering became wobbly and clunky at around 70,000 miles and symptoms of intake manifold leak and valley pan gasket leaks also. At 60,000 miles the tranny was leaking slowly and needed a partial rebuild ($1700, covered by warranty). I just (at 82,000 miles) brought it into repair shop and warranty is covering the suspension parts (ball joints shot, control arm bad, tie rods and bushings need replacing) and the intake and valley pan gasket replacements. I really haven't had that many issues considering I live in mountains and have put on 34,000 miles in a year and a half, and the ones I have are the common problems. Good thing I bought the 36,000 mile extended warranty that covers gaskets and seals. This is my favorite car that I've owned..... hands down. I LOVE it!