1995 BMW 540i Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1995 BMW 540i owners like you.

1995 BMW 540i Ratings Overview
3 car owners like you reviewed their 1995 BMW 540i. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
By on 11/26/12 | Mesquite, TX
WELL WHAT CAN I SAY. ITS THE BEST. IT IS VERY VERY FAST AND COMFORTABLE. IT IS THE ULTIMATE. IT IS GOOD AS A FAMILY CAR AND IT ALWAYS GETS THE JOB DONE.
By on 1/19/11 | Sugar Grove, PA
this has been my favorite bmw that I have owned. I have had a 325,635, and now the 540. At high rated speeds this car performs like a bmw should. All cars have there problems but if you want a car that will late a long time you cant go wrong with a bmw. I do not think they are that expensive to fix. I take mine to a local guy that does not even work on imports. he does a great job for less. Just got to look around. If you do repair something you should not have to repair it again. good quailty products from the germans. great car for the price. I paid only $2800 for it. In 1995 this car was valued at about $48,000 so great deal for me.
By on 4/9/10 | Erie, PA
The E34 540i is a great car. Very comfortable and fast. Repairs are expensive. I buy all my parts online and have the dealer perform the work. If you can DIY that is to be recommended. The weak areas on this car include the cooling system (perhaps its weakest area), leaking valve cover gaskets, leaking intake gaskets, front suspension, and HVAC system. The cooling system is the big one to watch out for though, these cars don't handle overheating well. The mostly aluminum V8 produces a lot of heat and puts stress on all the plastic components in the engine bay (radiator and hoses, etc.). I would buy and older E34 5-Series over a newer E39 5-Series any day, much less to break and better styling. Always do a pre-purchase inspection on any older out of warranty BMW you may be considering at a BMW center or independent BMW mechanic. I bought my 95 540 in May of 2009 with 85k miles. In April of 2010 it now has 96k miles. it is my daily driver rain, snow or shine. it has been very reliable even with is damn cold. The 4.0L V8 starts right up. I plan to keep this car as a DD for the next 5 years and then has a hobby/weekend car after that.