2001 BMW 525i Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2001 BMW 525i owners like you.

2001 BMW 525i Ratings Overview
12 car owners like you reviewed their 2001 BMW 525i. The average rating is a 4.5 out of 5.
By on 2/8/15 | Hampton, VA
After reading the other consumer review, I do believe I have a lemon on my hands. I bought this car in 2011 with 68,000 on it hoping this car would do me good. I kept up with the maintenance on this vehicle but in turn the vehicle has killed me softly. The first two years with the vehicle was fine. I needed to replace the rotors, brake pads, rear passenger window motor, and the oil. The third year trying times stumbled upon me. I ended up spending at least 8k in work on this car (almost the value of the car). Everything that could go wrong did -- radiator went, rad hoses went, valve cover oil leak happened, spark plugs and ignition coils went, belt went (stalled on me right in the middle of the street...very dangerous), lower rad hose, oil filter housing, lower ball joint, power seat stopped working, window motor on the front passenger, wiper motor failed, atv fluid leaking, clear coat started peeling and the list goes on.... I WILL NOT ever buy another BMW.

-signed one unhappy Virginian
By on 7/14/14 | Freeport, TX
We bought our 2001 525I , 6months ago and we are the 3rd owners. We are at 167,000. Its in the shop now for an oil leak upper compartment of the engine, but not the head gasket issue. We replaced the back tires and a couple of oil changes since purchasing it for $3200. we bought it from a guy that had a 325 as well. This has been a great car. Great on gas coming from a F150 v8. My only complaint about this car is being a passenger 6fttall Iin the backseat and a 6ft tall person in the front seat. Not much room. But the 4 door model is nice when its just my partner and I and our dog. We will definitely enjoy driving this machine for another 100k plus.
By on 2/10/14 | Loganville, GA
Overall great car. looks great, and drives great
By on 1/9/14 | Concord, NC
my gps was working how do i get it back working
By on 11/7/13 | Mount Orab, OH
Drove my 525 to 227,000 miles until my cousins kid wrecked it. Sad sad day. He was fine, car was totalled. I'm sure the car would still be nearly serving me perfectly to this day if I had it. Great great vehicle.
By on 5/26/13 | Garrison, KY
Just purchased a 2001 525iBMW, wanted to know if anyone has ever purchased extended warranty, as it is very expensive, 78,000klms on this beauty, is it worth the money @ 3000.00 for this or should just bank the money for repairs than to lay out that kind of extra money, regards lee:)
By on 12/10/12 | Tacoma, WA
Best car i have drove, great drive, nice looking and ideal for the family. Look after your car and your car will look after you and i plan to keep doing this :)
By on 7/16/12 | La Quinta, CA
I have had a 2001 525i BMW since new. It has done 278,000 miles and I see no reason why it should not do another 100,000 plus. The engine and power train is still like new. No oil leaks and the power is still the same when I first bought the car. I recently had a misfire which I fixed myself by changing the fuel filter and installing one new ignition coil. The best car I have ever owned.
By on 4/16/12 | Decatur, GA
I own a 1997 BMW 528i. This is a very reliable and low maintainance vehicle. I love it. No major work. Been driving it to work (75 miles/day) for a year and half now, without problems. Changed the radiator water reservoir. The external temp guarge has been broken, but I just get my weather forcast from my iphone...lol.
By on 10/13/11 | Fairfield, CA
I own a 2001 BMW 525i my battery is not holding a charge it is fairly new I believe my alarm has something to do with my battery draining do to it being so sensitive. my alarm goes off at night and I don't hear it when it goes off, in which it continues to sound. by morning my battery is low and my car wont start without a jump. my question is if I have my battery fully recharged at a shop would that help. I did have my alarm toned down at the dealer.
By on 5/26/09 | Memphis, TN
Overall a highly exceptional Ultimate Driving Machine. I have 70K miles (95% of this is long distance intense Highway driving) since brand new in 2001 and i do not drive it like 'there is no tomorrow'. Most people with any major complaint on this fine machine likely abused it by thinking it better built than Titanic. If I have choice between a 3010 BMW 528i and 2001 525i version I'll sure will pick my 2001 all over again! Since 2001 I have replaced 3 things in the care: end stage resistor blower; left low headlight beam; and front brakes (at 40K miles on extra Warranty) . Car is garaged and I still have my ORIGINAL Continental tires (I'll change it this year 2009 after 8 years of use for safety reasons since rubber eventually can break down more quickly after many years). Long live my 2001 525i.
I do my oil change/service regularly, never had tires aligned (they wear perfectly evenly well) and had rotated/balanced tires only twice.
By on 4/13/09 | Sherman Oaks, CA
the best car ever made....