RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: rear jounce bumper (bump stop) on 2000 Chrysler Town & Country

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
When I go over a bump, there is a loud thud (metal to metal?) in the rear of my 2000 T&C AWD. Sometimes it does it when I make a turn. The rear bump stops are worn out and I need help how to replace them. Thanks.
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
I think you need shock absorbers. The bump stops are bolted in and you should be able to see that if you look.
I replaced the shocks, but it still does it. The bump stop is attached with a rectangular base with a built-in bolt. The whole plate has to turn to unscrew, but there's no way to get hold of it because it's too big for regular pliers. I tried tapping it counterclockwise to get it started so I can get it out with my hand. No luck. Is there a special tool? I've been working on this for a while. The only place to get the OEM bump stop is the dealer. The aftermarket ones are cheaper but I still need to get the plate off. Thanks for any suggestions.
Didn't find what you were looking for?