» »

Problems for specific Volkswagen Passat years:

Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Newest reported Volkswagen Passat problems

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Premature wear in various multi-link suspension components can cause noises that are difficult to diagnose. Worn suspension parts can also cause uneven tire wear and create steering alignment problems.

19 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Check Engine Light illumination can be related to a catalytic converter fault. Our technicians tell us a re-flash of the ECM may correct the concern. If not, replacement of the catalytic converter may be required.

24 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Our technicians recommend having the constant velocity (CV) boots and CV joints inspected at each service. Servicing torn CV boots early can prevent the need to replace the CV half shaft or CV joint.

26 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

The water pump may fail resulting in engine overheating and possible timing belt damage. Overheating and/or timing belt failure can result in very expensive engine repairs. As a precaution, it is recommended to inspect the timing belt and water pump at regular intervals.

24 Reports

Reported by blankman for the Volkswagen Passat

Thers a SEAL that seperate the differental from the transmissing clutches this is there cause unit uses to fluids DIFF side is GEAR OIL....TRANS side is DEXTRON. WHEN SEAL GOES BAD THE TWO FLUIDS MIX CAUSIENG A MAJOR problem cluthes stop gripping and car stops moving ...

1 Report

Reported by Erika.Gastonguay for the Volkswagen Passat

My head gasket went in my 2002 VW Passat. I am so mad because I just paid it off Oct. 2011, and last winter had the turbo, timing belt, serpetene belt, and water pump replaced. It only has 171,000 miles on it and my JETTA never had any of these issues. It is a piece of junk! I also need my top valve cover replaced as well. They should have a recall on this because I see many others have had the same issues. The car is just a money pit; I...

1 Report

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Engine oil leaks are common from the valve cover gaskets and camshaft chain tensioner gasket.

90 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

A problem with the torque converter can cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate.

19 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

One or both head lights may not work due to premature head light bulb burnout and/or bulb harness failure. Care should be taken to inspect the head light harness connector for damage when replacing bulbs. Damaged connectors should be replaced.

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Condensation may develop in the heater case which can cause a musty odor from the heating, ventilation and AC (HVAC) system.  Our technicians tell us a cleaner is available for the heater case. Also, the drain system should be checked for debris.

9 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Clogged sunroof drains can allow water to enter the interior and accumulate under the carpet where various control modules are mounted. Over time, the accumulated moisture can damage the control modules.

35 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

A coolant leak may develop after oil filter replacement. The coolant o-ring seal can be damaged if the oil filter housing turns when removing or installing the oil filter. The recommended procedure is to hold the filter housing when tightening or loosening the oil filter.

2 Reports

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

Ignition wire breakdown is common, resulting in misfires.

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

The water pump and/or other cooling system may develop a coolant leak. Oil leaking from the  valve cover gasket is also common.

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat

A damaged water pump impeller may cause an engine overheating condition. Our technicians tell us the repair should include replacement of the water pump, thermostat, and flushing the cooling system.

3 Reports