QUESTIONS

Q: possible fuel injector problem on 1991 Ford Ranger

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
was driving one night at about 35 mph then the engine just revved up real high. tapping on the gas pedal didn't make a difference. turned the truck on and off several times to and it finally slowed down on it's own. that was 6 weeks ago. now it is doing it again, but nothing is making a difference. Have replace the mass air flow sensor which had a broken wire and have tried a fuel injector cleaner additive. My friend thinks it might be the fuel injector stuck open, but he knows nothing about cars.
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
One time i had a customers Ford taurus do that to me. after many thoughts and ideas about what it was i discoverd that the clip that holds the cruise control cable to the throttle control lever on the intake had broke and once in a great while it would get jam the throttle open and then eventually work loose . check to see if its still connected to the throttle lever on the intake
thank you, I do know that the throttle is not stuck. I have checked that... also I think I ruled out the fuel injector and throttle because when the air flow sensor is hooked up then it revs high, when unhooked it won't stay idling. that tells me that the throttle is not open and the fuel injector is not forcing fuel through. I hope that makes sense. I don't have cruise control or anything... not even a radio. all manual. Gonna check all wires and connections tomorrow for corrosion. The truck spent 18 years on the Oregon coast.