RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: PCM programming on 1998 Cadillac DeVille

can I use the eprom from the old PCM taken from the side opening of the PCM, is that the eprom??? not sure...... and use it in a replacing PCM rather than having to get it programmed at dealer or repair shop
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
If your old PCM does not have an "eprom" the replaceable "chip" is called a "knock sensor module" and MUST be transferred from the old PCM to the new. The new PCM will also need to be programed after it is installed in the vehicle. There are some cases of PCM's coming "pre-programed from the parts house. Try checking around and see what you can find.
Didn't find what you were looking for?