Car Questions

Looks like the timing chain cover is leaking anti-freeze. Is this a DIY problem?

(1999 Chevrolet Lumina)
in Muncy, PA on April 25, 2014
Engine has 143K miles on it. I'm the third owner. Leak is at bottom left of the front of engine, close to firewall on passenger side. If this isn't a DIY problem, how many hours should I expect a competent garage to take to fix it?
Displaying 2 answers & 5 comments
on April 25, 2014
Just a word of caution, make sure that is your leak instead of the water pump that will leak onto the belt and travel.... might be worth another look,...just a thought..
on April 25, 2014
Yeah, thanks pushrod. We checked that out pretty good. Under a pressure test there was a pretty good stream coming out the bottom of the front engine cover. No indication of a leak anywhere around the water pump itself.
on April 25, 2014
Ok, that's cool. It's just not a common problem on this engine. Water pump and intake leaks are! I have been fooled by leaks but if you can it streaming out then that pretty much explains it! Try snugging the bolts up a little more, can't hurt!
on May 12, 2014
yes, I tightening up the bolts to the specifications. It looks like stopped leaking, but recently now I see a small trace of coolant. should I try snugging the bolts up a little more?
on May 12, 2014
Yep, just dont ring them off...... plus a can of Bars leak wont hurt a thing here!
of Greg's Orange Auto on April 25, 2014
its a 5.5 hr job but for you maybe 7. might want to have it done and replace timing components at the same time
on April 25, 2014
Thanks Greg, I'm watching a DIY of the job on U-Tube & I agree with your assessment. With a well-stocked/organized garage I might attempt it, but since I'm lacking that at the moment I guess I'll have my normal auto mechanic do the job.

idle fluctuates cold or warm, car stalls but starts again.replaced the IAC,TPS,plugs fuel regulator,egr found a vacuu...
(1998 Chevy Lumina 3.1 Liter V6) I want to purchase a new beam for underneath my radiator but i'm not sure what the b...