Q: Light on ESP/BAS and Traction light also, is this a clock spring problem? on 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
Always on while driving.
(5) Answers
(24) Comments
| |
Yes, its quite possible. The clock spring is also the steering angle sensor which is a major input for the stability control system. What code is setting?
| |
I'm presenting a class on EPS and Stability Systems for the first time next week. Lots of manufacturers doing things that make us shake our heads with these systems.
| |
I know about the steering sensor and symptoms caused by them and repaired many of them from GM's. Just forgot how Dodge did theirs. I Hate Dodge, Got their ideas from MB.
| |
Yes the Daimler is strong in this one. The SAS inside the clock spring is a node on the CAN network.
I have to admit i was wrong! Just fixed this same problem, on a vehicle just like this one, with a new clock spring! Another way i could tell on this one was the faint clicking when steering wheel was turned. Other than this time there was another time i was wrong,,,for about 15 seconds,,, i thought i was wrong! But that's it!!
I have an 08 Caravan with same lights. However mine was making a growling sound and felt it was applying the brakes. I assumed that was the ESP/BAS in action. Shop said code read the steering sensor was not working but should not be an issue with every day driving. Lights eventually went off. Today ESP/BAS was continually activating and it sounds scary. The two lights are back on. I have been hearing a clicking sound in the steering column for a long time. I know that's the clockspring but horn works and no airbag lights. Since the initial code was steering sensor, would you say my issue sounds more like the wheel sensor or clockspring?
| |
It's important to have the vehicle repaired ASAP. The steering angle sensor input is critical towards having the anti-skid function operate correctly, and other functions like drift assist cannot help maintain the vehicles trac in cross winds and with high road crown. But that is just the beginning. What do you suppose might happen if the horn power manages to be fed to the airbag circuit, and it just happens to also make a ground connection? Search false airbag detonations for some examples because it can happen! But there is still the issue of the air bag not deploying correctly if heaven forbid an accident does occur and you or one of your loved ones needed it's protection. Right now is that moment in time that you would give anything to go back to if you had a second chance. Think about that.
I have a 2010 caravan with same lights. The catch is that I think I caused it. I just replaced the evaporator core and I believe I may have gotten the wheel back in 360 degrees out. I did my best to be careful not to do this but it is the only excuse I have. The question is have I broken the spring and need to replace it or do I just remove the link and try to re clock it?
I have an 08 Caravan, had the evaporator changed last week and today I started having this problem. While driving it feels like applying brakes. Any advice or recommendation?
Crazy R, i have the same problem with my caravan same as you & Mamavan, ESP/BAS was continually lite and it sounds scary. The two lights are on. Did you ever find out what was the fix? If the it is just the steering angle sensor (Clock sensor) which need to be change?
| |
There isn't a single fix for any given warning lamp(s), let alone a particular trouble code. All of the diagnostics steps should be carried out each and every time.
Dealer supposedly has diagnostic and comes out as clock spring, I don't believe it either, appreciate your answer.
| |
Agree with #1; The Electronic Suspension, ABS and Traction are all part of the Anti Lock brake module. I wouldn't think the steering wheel would have anything to do with your brakes.
I took my 2009 dodge ram 1500 to a mechanic shop today and the code that popped up was the steering angle sensor and I have the same warning sign on my dash esp/bas and traction control light I don't understand that either.He said that sensor is saying that the truck isn't driving straight.

I have a small repair shop that is encountering this issue. This is my first exposure to this how tough is it to replace the clockspring in these 08 Caravans?
This should give you a 'general idea' of how it's done >▪️http://youtu.be/7ipVKnDNzXM▪️
I'm looking for an actual answer not a this might be close. Has anybody here done this repair?
All you got to do is copy and paste the YouTube video link I posted and watch it being done! .. That's about all the help anyone can provide here!
Qualified Local Dodge Shops
Qualified Dodge Shops For This Repair
A couple of weeks ago I redid my inner and outer tie rod ends along with both struts and a complete front end brake job on my 2008 Dodge Adventure SXT. Within 5 miles my ESP / bas light came on. I believe this has something to do with the alignment and the angle sensors are doing their job. I have an appointment for an alignment tomorrow. I will give you an update on the outcome. Thanks
For whomever it may concern > IF the steering wheel gets turned beyond the normal limit in either direction during service or repair work on the front end with steering components unhooked or removed .. it will damage the steering angle sensor .. Proper scanner is all that needed to diagnose this issue .. This includes viewing the steering angle sensor inputs on scanner screen to see if that is in agreement with the direction of the front wheels... In any event > SCAN TEST!!
Also, IF after front end work - the steering wheel is not centered, the lights in dash will turn on... Alignment is needed... It's not that complicated!
sounds logical. after replacing all components that I mentioned before the steering wheel is at 2 o'clock with the tires straight.. so after the alignment is complete, Is this something that has to be reset with his scanner? if the light is still on can I simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer?
After everything get centered, driving the vehicle a ways is all that's needed .. No need for scan test unless the light doesn't go out after alignment and test drive.. Alignment shop should know what to do... This whole concept is a bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned and it's getting worse! .. Eventually, the dealers are going to be the only place to get the majority of this type repair work done, I don't know how much longer but eventually .. The independent shop owners that have enough money to 'keep up' with the technology won't need to be working any longer in the first place!