Land Rover Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from Land Rover owners like you.

Land Rover (36 Reviews)
Overall
Have had this car almost 5 years. Great car to drive, very comfortable on long trips, BUT ...
Very poor quality vehicle. 10 trips back to the dealer for warranty work, often for similar or related problems. Now off warranty, still having problems. Check engine lite on, back-up camera not working (repaired more than once under warranty.) Wonder if it's worth fixing anymore. Very expensive to repair, considering trading it in for something better. Range Rover America recommended an extended warranty (I guess that is their way of making their problem mine, at my cost). I would expect much better performance, reliabliity and service for an expensive high end vehicle. Would not recommend this vehicle.
It is my second 1993 County LWB---The first one, was really nice and clean---sorted and running smooth; but an 18 year old girl, two lanes to my left, was text-messaging and got a message that she had missed her turn--so she whipped it to the right and struck me just behind my seat, in the passenger door: I rolled over 2 complete times. Maybe it was the after-market coil-spring conversion that added to the instability; but the safety and integrity of that Range Rover, during the two complete barrel rolls, was impressively solid. The next 1993 I seek out will have the EAS intact. A functioning EAS somewhat verifies the maintenance ethics of the previous owner/s. The problem with the air suspension is often a simple inexpensive O-ring, but a mechanic wants to scare you into a $1,200.00 coil-spring conversion for his own benefit. Coil spring conversions mean that someone was gouged (Spring-conversions are NOT a good sales feature)---and it is too bad that the electronic air suspension was gutted. 1993 is the last year of the true pure-British Land Rover. In 1994, the Teutons raided Solihull, then in 1996 Ford ganged up (And now Fords are looking like Land Rovers). The Long Wheel Base is a very comfortable ride. There is something very classic about the last British-owned year of the hard-dash County LWB: The last stage of Charles Spensor King's (Nephew of Land Rover's Wilks brothers) iconic automobile design.
On 12/5/12 at 44,787 miles all four of the wheel bearings were replaced at Land Rover of San Antonio, part of the Cavender auto group. I heard a roaring noise and they found all four hub bearing assemblies needed to be replaced. The cost was $2,231.62 . I appealed to them that my wife drives this car, to and from work,then to the stores. I called the parent company and they paid $1,000.00 of my bill.
On 12/20/13 at 61,100 miles I drove my wife's car and heard the rear end making noise again. I thought perhaps it was the tires I purchased at Sears. The tires were good but they had two mechanics confirm it was the rear bearings.
I went directly to Land Rover of San Antonio and they said they only warranty the work for one year and that I am 15 days over. I told them they are either useing defective parts or do not know what they are doing. They also told me to go and call Land Rover of America myself and see if they will help.
Also last week, while closing the sunroof the right guide bar fell off . The cost of repair, $565.00 My 53 year old wife only drives to and from work on the interstate and to the stores. This car has never been off the pavement.
My question, how long should sealed wheel bearings last?
I bought my Lr3 about 2 years ago with 52600 miles on it and in that time I've replaced a tie rod, ball joint, alternator, battery,brake rotors and now got to replace front drive shaft and front wheel bearing...turning out to be one of the worse vehicles I've ever owned!!!
I have only had the car for a few weeks and bought it as is, knowing that the check engine light was an issue. The tailights and and most parts just plug in and are fairly simple for a female to repair. My problem is not really with the car but with Land Rover, Dallas - TX. I have taken the car to two State Inspection places where the vehicle was diagnosed and both indicated that Code PO171 (System Too Lean Bank 1)and PO174 (System Too Lean Bank 2)are related to the O2 Sensor and a Vacume Hose.

The first shop inspected the vehicle and said it was a good buy, even with the check engine light, so I bought it. The second shop, changed my oil and lower brake light assembly and inspected the check engine light. In each case, the car was on its way to recovery with only the check engine light as an issue. I then took it to Land Rover Dallas as I wanted a professional opinion from the manufacturers of the vehicle and had their 5 points diagnostics performed - the report stated everything on the vehicle was good even the brake light(s). But on a different report, then indicated the check engine light was related to an intake manifold where the valve was not shutting properly. Their price was approximately $2500.00 to repair the vehicle.

When I had Land Rover go back and check on the upper brake light to ensure it was working, Land Rover broke the functioning brake light assemblies and caused a blinker light malfunction by not putting the bulbs in properly. And then attempted to get me to buy new parts and service for the items they broke.

What happens when Land Rover takes apart my original functional vehicle and it falls apart because it did not need new motors, or other parts that belong to the intake manifold? Will Land Rover tell me I need a Mass Air Flow Sensor and an O2 Sensor then?

Is there a Land Rover mechanic in Dallas, TX that actually knows how to fix the vehicle and can be trusted to not lie about the fix to sell the most expensive parts?
i need power stearing pump pulley for land rover range rover2000 4.6HSK
I bought RR new in 2004. Pretty plagued with problems.Dealer neverdid exlpain lifter noise. At apx 140,000 Transmission begins jumpimng from 1st ot 4th in auto mode. Will shift manually fora while. Then seems to default back to Fourth.In auot clutch just slips until fully engaged in 4th. Just stays there until turning system off and restarting. Will shift OK againfor a while then goes seems to lock back into 4th again.
Clutch can't continue to do this, can it?
my first time changing the water tank and the water pump after it havent had any problem thank god just suspension problem
Great SUV never had any problems with my Range Rover Sport. I love it !!
I bought this ol' gal..Named her Prissy.. from EBay after losing my Lexus in a divorce. Priss was weird from the start and scared the heck out of me for the first few months with her unpredictability. She would stop for no reason, would refuse to start.. etc etc. It wasnt unlikely to see me sitting her along side the road crying my eyes out.
I finally found a mechanic here in Anchorage - FATS auto... and they saved me. Rather than see a woman who the could 'take' all the way... they treated me and Priss very fairly. Soon Priss came to love Alaska. However, there have bee a few problems lately. I forgot to add coolant. oops. The heater wasnt working so well. I left her downtown and cabbed it home one night and the next morning she just would not start.I thought I was going to die!!! we jumped her and i noticed the coolant overflow reservoir..it had cobwebs in it!!. I cant find the actual radiator cap so i filled up the overflow. Worked great until i got home and garaged her. Frigging coolant everywhere.
I paniced.. thinking the WORST...
but... Priss is somewhat of a magical girl. She has fixed herself.
no leaks, nothing.
she kind of freaks me out you know?? But i love her
coolant dries up but no signs of leak on the driveway.
Have owned a 2004 SE7 since '05 - purchased used from LR Dealer with 20k miles, now has 76k. In the 6 yrs of ownership, it has been very, very good - although not perfect: loves to drink premium gas, window motors in both front doors needed replaced, moonroof seals are leak prone, and CD 6-pk got stuck & needed repaired. Mechanically, it has been flawless UP UNTIL NOW - coolant has been disappearing (resovoir almost empty after only a month after filling) with no obvious signs of leaks. Little bit of research online yielded Head Gasket Issues as source - which will not be fun to replace. Still, as it's the only Real powertrain issue in 6 yrs of ownership, overall the truck is a tank and has been dependable. My family is safe in it and, of course, it's offroad capabilities are absolutely incredible. Although head gasket repair is not a cheap by any means, we remain very pleased overall with our Disco and look forward to several more years of ownership.
Rear differential just replaced under warranty at 33K miles. If it had been out of warranty it would have been $4000.00 for electronic locking rear diff. Not sure if I am going to keep Truck past 50K warranty period. Thought about buying extended warranty but they $5000.00 for 1 more year of driving in my case.
I have owned 5 Rover's in the past. Disco,Disco2,P38 RR. These all had some issues to deal with, but what many owners don't understand these are special purpose vehicles and are not a Honda. That being said, My 2006 LR3 HSE has been the best so far. No issues what so ever. Our new RR Supercharged is a absolute marvel. This is one KILLER vehicle!!!! One last comment ; Rover dealers are the best people I have ever done business with I get treated like I mean something to then. I really think they care about you and your Rover
I purchased a used 2006 LR3, with 50K miles. It some electrical problems that took several trips to the dealer to fix. I have put another 12K plus miles on it, and it runs great. I would never buy a used Land Rover w/o an extended warranty and service plans, because any work done on it is EXPENSIVE !!
I recently purchased this vehicle used. I love it so far.
I had to put a head gasket on my 2002. Did it myself. Dealer wanted $6k to to the head gasket. This thing runs like a horse and is fun to drive while looking classy.
This 4.2 liter LWB has been remarkably extremely reliable for over 140,000 miles. It has never left me stranded. Despite all the horror stories that one hears about Range Rovers. Considering how remarkable these cars are..its pretty straight forward pertaining to the engine and drive train. I would want no other 4x4 in the extremes
in remote Northern Arizona....
Vogue 4.4 petrol Model has been super until 80K miles and then the cooling system pipes, radiator and water pump and rad fill bottle all developed leaks and had to be replaced.

Front wheel bearing and suspension bushes and air compressor is the next range of issues and all should be replaced.

More regular engine oil and transmission oil changes required after 80K miles.

Battery charge and over charging is an annual affair but the choice of battery and rating is crucial to rectifying the problem.

A good buy for anyone who wants power, comfort and is prepared to spend dollars on regular maintenance.
2.5 years old,53,000 miles the drivers seat has had a click since new but the car is great. I wish I could find off road tires for it but odd size. I would buy a new one in 2 years.
The vehicle is great. HOWEVER...DON"T deal with the dealer if you can avoid it...it will be a nightmare. ALSO, the electrical systems suck..always a problem. Every door lock does not work..all 5doors and NO RECALL. It drive sgreat and handles well in the snow..
If you bought one of these to drive around town and road-trip to LA....you got the wrong rig. Go buy some floaty American SUV. If you're an outdoor enthusiast that likes to take the road less traveled, have a passion for surfing spots in Baja that can't be accessed without a mule or airplane...here is your mule. Truck ALWAYS starts...never a hiccup. It's still running a good old fashioned "buick" engine that have been rolling in Rovers since the 60's. Yep they have issues but nothing unusual. Oil leaks will develop, not much more than torquing or replacing aged gaskets. Change the fluid in the difs and tranny which is what the vehicle is all about and you'll get many years of service from it. electronics are not sophisticated, the sensors can get expensive but there are several good LR parts houses on the net. DO NOT go to the dealer after warranty.....it will be almost triple the cost of an independent.
Rugged and ready to assault the ribbons of unpaved roads....and throw in some snow now and then.
Those that complain about LRs, bought one for all the wrong reasons..they wanted some "status" symbol from a truck used by farmers the world over...come on. These are a good DIY repair vehicle on most aspects too.
Wow what a truck! Simply the best factory 4x4 available on the planet. You have to know what you are gettting into with one of these rigs though. Its is not a car you can simply change the oil in and expect to run for ever. They require an attentive owner, and a good service shop...but if well maintained this could be your rig for life! once you get past your warrantees, there is a plethora of aftermarket gear to take this truck from basic to Bad Ass

If you really want to respect and enjoy the Disco, take it off road and see what it can really do in the environment it was intended for. Dont forget to smile and wave as you cruise past all your friends who got stuck in their lifted pickups and jeeps...if your feeling nice, throw it low and drag them out with no hesitation or trouble.(this thing will pull a house even with the 4.0L)

Bottom line, do your research on both the model and the specific truck...expect to have some maintenance costs.
I agree that this car is problem after problem and service at Land Rover is not to helpful.It is do it or go with them, They will not work with you except to trade it in for a bigger headache. It is a cute car but very costly to keep. I wish I would of never gotten it.
I've owned many RR C, but the 95 has been the best! Few of the common issues, but nothing to cry over. But these rigs are not for everyone, mostly because the DEALER will kill you on repairs that a inddy shop can do for half the $. Good thing , there is tons of info on the net on how to DIY repairs.
Great Truck
watch out for the coil packs on this truck. There are eight of them and they are expensive
Pros: The Freelander is solid, quiet gets fairly good gas mileage, and is pleasurable to drive.
Cons: Sucks money from wallet. In its first year with me the fuel pump failed ($750) Window regulator ($330) Light Switch ($220) also Rear window, Radio, Door locks (awaiting repair. Also AC is fairly weak and loud, and the front brakes wear out quickly. Required maintenance is going to cost $300 to $2000 in any given year. Nov 2009 -- Cylinder Sleeve slipped -- >$5000 to fix KBB value ~$3200 what a piece of junk (parts car for sale)

I own 2 Disc ll and I would have it no other way....01 and 99....if you are willing to research you can cut your cost on repairs if you do the work yourself. It is the saftest car I would put my kids in. Tehy have thier issues but it is the only SUV that can go the distance....the world is it's play ground....
Off-road - no problem. Snow storms - handles extremely well. Principle mode of transportation - NO WAY. Dealers are vampires and service reps are minions of the dealer. I cannot believe how badly serviced this vehicle is. Oil pump has a serious design flaw, ABS system sucks, legacy electrical problems that have haunted this vehicle for more than 10 years. LR has known about these faults for years but does nothing. Better to say nothing than recall all those lemons - right? Looks great but no substance. Take a lesson from GMC or Ford trucks and give us LR owners a break. TATA owns this now and I wonder if they'll do any better.