QUESTIONS

Q: Is the problem the oxygen sensors or Catalytic converter? on 2001 Infiniti I30

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
2001 Infinite I30. I had O2 Sensor Bank 1, Sensor 2 replaced in May of 2010 by a new mechanic. They recommended that, in these cars, all 4 sensors work together so ALL four should be replaced but I couldn't afford all, so I replace one and the "check engine" light went off. Light back on now. I took it to my old mechanic. The diag. code is coming up "middle catalytic converter". He says this should be replaced. I told my newer mechanic this. He says the failing O2 sensors are causing the CC to malfunction, hence the code and that I should replace all remaining sensors instead. Old mechanic says he detects no malfunctioning with remaining O2 sensors. Who's right? Help!
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
your old mechanic. you can test the o2 with a scanner and a scope for operation. you do not need to replace all when one fails, just the failed part.
your shop can do a graph of the cat to see if it is bad or not. cats are common for failure from either age, 100k or more, or from misffires from a bad plug or coil over an extended period of time.

Roy