Car Questions

Is the problem the oxygen sensors or Catalytic converter?

(2001 Infiniti I30)
in Richmond, VA on November 16, 2010
2001 Infinite I30. I had O2 Sensor Bank 1, Sensor 2 replaced in May of 2010 by a new mechanic. They recommended that, in these cars, all 4 sensors work together so ALL four should be replaced but I couldn't afford all, so I replace one and the "check engine" light went off. Light back on now. I took it to my old mechanic. The diag. code is coming up "middle catalytic converter". He says this should be replaced. I told my newer mechanic this. He says the failing O2 sensors are causing the CC to malfunction, hence the code and that I should replace all remaining sensors instead. Old mechanic says he detects no malfunctioning with remaining O2 sensors. Who's right? Help!
Displaying 1 answers & 1 comments
on November 16, 2010
your old mechanic. you can test the o2 with a scanner and a scope for operation. you do not need to replace all when one fails, just the failed part.
your shop can do a graph of the cat to see if it is bad or not. cats are common for failure from either age, 100k or more, or from misffires from a bad plug or coil over an extended period of time.

Roy
on November 16, 2010
My old mechanic comes through once more....Thanks for your help Mastertech!

I have replaced brakes on my new rav4 2015 in 2016.I am told i have to replace it again 2018 .I complained the ver...
My boyfriend poured a bottle of lotion like hair stuff in my oil and my car is losing power and stalling out and has ...