Mercedes-Benz E350 Problems

Rough Shifting of Automatic Transmission on Mercedes-Benz E350

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Vehicles equipped with a 7-speed automatic transmission may develop a rough shifting condition, most commonly going up from first to second gear and going down from third to second or second to first gear. Our technicians tell us this is due to an internal component failure. Mercedes has released updated parts; the transmission will need to be removed and disassembled to complete the necessary repairs.

(223 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz E350 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 70,287 (3,000–222,000)
10 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Not Your Mercedes-Benz E350 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 81-100 of 125 comments
Mercedes E350 2008, check engine light came on and stuck on 2nd gear - cat won't go faster than 35MPH. Got independent diagnosis code P2734- Pressure control solenoid'F' electrical. Took the car to dealership, now they are telling me that I need the transmission replaced alon with torque converter - $8200 repair. There was a recall be Mercedes for a camshaft solenoid but service advisor told me that had nothing to do with the transmission.
My 2012 e350 trans just died at 80K miles (started by having shifting problems and would simply not shift to greater than 3rd gear). $6K bill for rebuild. Dealer Service head, and separately local Benz repair shop told me that the 7 speed transmission has had a very high failure rate due to a design flaw that causes internal failure. Local shop has replaced 12 e 7 speed transmissions and dealer told me it was 'multiples of 10' from them and that MB will not give relief. Furthermore, they told me that MB has issued revisions to its service recommendations around this transmission so they are aware of the problem. I've checked the blogs and it appears that the failure is very common and costly. Was wondering if others have had this happen. Feels odd/infuriating that many have had to pay for something that should last >150Kmiles. I also own a e320 wagon I purchased new in 1999 with a 5 speed that has 180Kmiles on its original trans and have had no problem.
Shifting and engine/transmission braking at low speeds is excessive. Engine/transmission breaking at low speeds 20-30 MPH does not need brakes to stop. It feels like driving with brakes on until you get to about 40-50 MPH.
My car will not shift into gear. It just sticks and will not go faster than about 30 mph. It used to work to turn the car off and quickly turn it back on, but now this "quick fix" does not resolve the issue. Mercedes really should fix this issue. I've found they're well aware of it. And to make matters worse, it's not something where you can buy the part and have someone else put it on. You must go through MB to fix it--something about it being VIN specific and having to be coded back to my particular vehicle. And not only that, you can't just buy the single component needed which is the speed sensor. You have to by the entire valve train and replace it. Very frustrating on many, many levels.
Our car is 2005 E500, same problem, gear rough shifting, RPM extremely high, no repair shop want to repair. we suck.. we should gether more info from consumer has this problem and push Mercedes to recall transmission problem.
heavy shift from 1st to second whilst cold. also hard shift from 3rd to 2nd again when cold. Car ios fine after 2 mins of driving and the trans is warming.
I was in the highway when all of a sudden my car stop. I was in a panic mode because I did know what to do.
I composed myself and pull the car to the side. After a few minutes , I restart the car and I manage to get home. The next day on my way to work it does the same think twice. In the afternoon I took it the dealer because I did not want to kill myself. The dealer did a diagnostic on the car and the result was the transmission shaft and another related issue. The total cost for the repair was $$2938. I left the car for repair. They are going to give me the car back on Monday December 15. I have to wait and see if the problem has been solved.
Car stopped shift gears on 5th. I turned off and turned on the car and that stopped the problem. but, two days later, on the morning after turn it on, there was a load noise when put it on drive. When driving, the car didn't shift to second gear. I turned off and on, but problem continues.
Same problem as others have reported: car gets stuck in 3rd gear; only way to shake it loose is to stop and restart the engine. Will see what the dealer's service area has to say. Independent garage wouldn't touch it.
My 06 e350 wasn't shifting from 2nd or 3rd. Then when I stopped at the next light it would not come outta first. Put it in park. Then back into gear and felt a clunk. After doing that twice I turned it off and back on and it worked fine again. I'm gonna have to take it to get fixed since I don't want my wife and kids to be stranded roadside one day. Come on Mercedes really? Address this issue as it seems to be a recurring problem with many of your car's!
Occasionally car will stuck after stopped at red light. RPM ran high but the car does not move...untill restart the engine...Happens about once a month...