Mercedes-Benz E350 Problems

Rough Shifting of Automatic Transmission on Mercedes-Benz E350

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Vehicles equipped with a 7-speed automatic transmission may develop a rough shifting condition, most commonly going up from first to second gear and going down from third to second or second to first gear. Our technicians tell us this is due to an internal component failure. Mercedes has released updated parts; the transmission will need to be removed and disassembled to complete the necessary repairs.

(223 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz E350 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 70,287 (3,000–222,000)
10 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Not Your Mercedes-Benz E350 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 61-80 of 125 comments
Transmission delayed downshift when braking to hard stop. Delayed shifting in paddle shifting mode.
I have the same issues here and my car doesn't switch gears properly, it revs high and doesn't move. I'm constantly getting beat on the road by Corollas and Priuses. Hwy driving is atrocious because it doesn't shift right unless I use the paddle shifters. I'm flooring the gas pedal and the car doesn't move. I've taken it twice to MB service and was told that I'm the problem. Seriously regretting getting this car.
The vehicle shifts with difficulty, sometimes does not shift at all, and I have to pull it over to restart it and the problem is corrected. The local service station scanned the computer and it said I needed to replace the internal speed regulator inside the transmission. The local MB dealer said that will cost around $8,000. This is not wear and tear, this is a flaw with this transmission. MB should acknowledge this and issue a recall. I am pursuing dealer remedies next.
Transmission will get stuck in gear and have to stop car restart and it will reset. Dealer told me I had to replace transmission. I took it to independent and they
replaces sensor inside transmission and its fine now. Dealer service mgr. told me
that Mercedes will not allow any dealer to take transmission apart to replace internal items. They tell service shops just to replace transmission. 6,000 dollars vs 450.00
I like Mercedes but workmanship and mechanical breakdowns just after 100,000 miles warranty is over are enormous. engine and trans. I purchased two and
had same problems with both same year. Next car will be Volvo or Lexus my friends say they are wonderful and last forever and dealers are great.
The first gear is fine but when switching to 2nd gear the car hesitate.once pass that it's ok but when I have to stop and start all over it a not good.... the car has no take off power
We have had several issues where the transmission would rev up, and we would have to pull over and the turn the engine off and on before the issue would go away. This can cause accidents and possible serious injuries. RH
i just bought this used 2013 e350 and I'm experiencing poor stutter shifting at 20 to 40 mph the car bogs down and then lurches forward to get to another gear VERY ANNOYING! i have had many benz's and never had this problem but it looks like it is well documented. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow!!
Car shift rough on acceleration and during deceleration. When I took it to a mechanic, I was told that we have to replace the transmission at a cost of $4,500. It is outrageous!
C230 2006 sport, it always causes a slippery sound when shifting gears, most precise when RPM REACHES above 3.5. This sound is like the gear shifting is going to break down
The cars mph dropped to 20mph when I had my foot all the way on the gas peddle going 50mph. This happed 3 different times. I had to pull over and turn my car off, and then restart it. It then drove me home ok
After repairing the TCU plate in the transmission almost 2 years ago I have the problem again, but only worse.
This time I was told I need to replace the transmission because now the clutch is 90 used, likely due to the miss shifting I have been experiencing.
With that said I will NEVER own another Mercedes again
the transmission gets stuck at a gear and won't shift up or down. I have to pull over and turn off and on the enginge to fix the problem.
I am having the rough shifting from 2 to 3rd, and then down from 4 to 3, in addition to long unpredictable hesitations when trying to accelerate at highway speeds. Makes the car dangerous to drive. The issue is intermittent and the car has been taken to the dealer from the first week of ownership. Tried having the car classified as a lemon, but Mercedes had a full compliment of lawyers (who lied during arbitration), "experts" and service people. One of the "experts" on the arbitration board actually said in closing that modern cars do hesitate during acceleration because the throttle is no longer directly connected to the carburettor if you could believe that. They could never duplicate the issue, and it continues to this day. As a long time Merrcedes Customer (myself and family); very disappointed with Mercedes. Driving the car is very annoying since problem only shows up intermittently, and dangerous when it happens on the highway.
Rough down-shift (dull thud noise) when slowing to stop. It is intermittent in city driving. It is hard to say if from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. It happens during slow cruising.
Car shifts sliwly or losses power on traffic. Turn car off and back on shifting engages and goes again.
I have not had it fixed yet. It seems to have trouble shifting up to third gear and shifting back down to second gear
The first time this happen to me I was pulling off from a stop light. It was extremely scary because I did not know what was happening. I tried to accelerate but the engine just roared and the car was going nowhere. All I could think to do was to shift the car into neutral then back into drive. I had to do that two times before it began driving normal again. It was a very scary moment. That was about 3 months ago. Since I have a 2nd vehicle, 2007 Saab 9-3 Turo, I don't drive the Mercedes often, but it has happened 4-5 times since the first occurrence.