Car Questions
RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Inside door panel

(1997 BMW 528i)
in Long Beach, NY on December 29, 2008
How is the inside door panel removed? The cable connecting the handle that opens the door broke. Thanks
Displaying 6 answers & 0 comments
Popular Answer
on December 30, 2008
This can be tricky, even for experienced technicians. The best bet is to buy a repair manual for your 528. You'll find detailed diagrams and instructions for how to find the fasteners and how to take off the panel. Another good resource are BMW enthusiast forums--you can find car-specific how to do it yourself information.
on September 25, 2009
Ahhhh leave it broke. It will just break again. It's plastic for god's sake. Wait till a cold day with a little ice jamming things up.

BMW has put break away cables in all their doors. The technicians are very good at disassembling the nice wood trim and the rest of the panel. They need the work. They stock the extra parts to git the job done. Particularly in the winter when they're supposed to break.

They work on commission you know.
on September 07, 2010
ok, this is actually an easy repair. Nothing tricky about it. go to follow the link to the video on how to replace the window regulator. It shows exactly how to remove the panel in addtion to replacing the regulator. Less than a 7 minute job.
on September 06, 2010
There is a star screw in back of the handle, you have to remove the little circular plug, then there is another screw philips head up near the vent real tight against the circular vent itself take that out, then the rest of the door just pops off, twist the black cover with your inside handle to the inside part, now you have access to the cable, sometimes it just comes off the handle itself, just pull it onto it, sometimes lifting the outside handle at the same time gives you more cable stretch, good luck
on August 12, 2010
you have to just pull the panel off using some common sense and they probably sell a tool for it. but im pretty sure you have to buy the plastic clips that hold it on. good luck.
on September 11, 2010
go to there's a video how to remove the door panel and more.
Get a repair estimate
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide.
Or interested in getting a repair? Find a Shop

Similar Questions

View answers to similar questions from RepairPal's community of auto experts and enthusiasts.
Driver side door won't open from in or out. can't get the door panel off. what can be done?
Inside door handle wont open, took door panel off looks like the plastic yellow piece on the cable is broke, how do y...
Didn't find what you were looking for?