Car Questions

Ignition switch or starter motor problem ?

(2003 Buick Rendezvous)
in Kure Beach, NC on May 04, 2009
When starting car if we turn the switch just slightly all works fine but if we turn it to far we get a weird noise from the starter motor. This has been going on for 4 or 5 months and works fine if we're careful not to turn switch to far. Shop I go to says the dealership is only one who can fix this problem ? Do you think the the weird noise we hear once in awhile is the ignition switch or starter motor ? Also can you give me some idea what the repair might cost ? Thanks.
Tom Howard

Don't you think I can find someplace other than the dealership to repair or replace the ignition ? Thanks again..
Tom Howard
Displaying 2 answers & 0 comments
on May 04, 2009
The noise is probably coming from the starter but I would start by changing the ignition switch first, The labor to replace the switch is about an hour and the parts $34 to $58.
on May 12, 2009
Try the RepairPal Directory to find shops near you:

When i turn my headlights on, the drivers side high beam comes on and the passenger side low beam is on. When i flip ...
we have changed the ipr sensor , cam sensor,oil pressure senor ignition turns over but wont fire