If a/c compressor is taken out what about the serpentine belt? on 1991 GMC Vandura 2500

If the a/c compressor is taken out then how would the serpentine belt be rerouted? Or does it have to be replaced and not taken out if there is a serpentine belt?

by in Madison, WI on October 08, 2009
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
6 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by , October 09, 2009
If you can make a straight line between the two adjacent pulleys, you may be able to use a shorter belt. However this will change (decrease) the friction surfaces on those two pulleys, and may cause belts to get eaten and pulleys to overheat due to belt slippage. Best bet would be to just leave the dead compressor in place and use it as an idler pulley...
COMMENT by , June 12, 2010
until it siezes and throws the belt
ANSWER by , October 26, 2009
I have the same question for my 2001 Olds Intrigue. Looks like someone has invented a "bypass pulley" for just such a situation. I found it at this location: http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ACBypassPulley. Not sure if they make one for your make and model. Or mine.
ANSWER by , October 08, 2009
Looking at the belt route drawing http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_information/year/1992/make/gmc/model/vandura/1992_gmc_vandura_drive_belt_routing_diagram.htm the routing between the tensioner and idler (even after you figure out which fan belt short enough to use) doesn't look like it would be possible to eliminate the compressor and still properly tension the belt.
ANSWER by , October 29, 2010
I recomend getting the dummy pulley. If you use a smaller belt to compensate for the missing A/C pulley you have no room to tighten the belt once it wears a bit. Therefore the tensioner is key and you must have the a/c pulley or a dummy pulley
ANSWER by , June 12, 2010
i have a 92 gmc vandura 2500 with the 5.7 and the correct answer is to have the system drained remove the compressor before it ceases and throws the belt or worse locks and stalls your engine on the freeway like it did mine and get the bypass pulley from a parts store mine cost about 40 bucks and make sure you secure the ac lines out of the way same belt size you just remove a potential problem
ANSWER by , March 30, 2010
You can't re-route the same belt. You'd have to obtain a belt of the new correct length.....perhaps one made to fit the same exact engine that doesn't have A/C. I sugest you inquire at the dealer for availibility of correct belt before you start this.