Car Questions

Idling problem

(1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E)
in Rochester, NY on September 07, 2010
trouble getting car to stay idled, it cuts off after taking foot of gas pedal
Displaying 1 answer & 0 comments
on December 11, 2010
I had a similar problem with my 90 300E. It would occasionally stall and idled roughly. I took it to a European specialized repair shop to have it tuned, distributor changed, new spark plugs and wires. I was disappointed when I received it back with the rough idle and occasional stalling continuing.

Fiddling around, I was looking under the hood. To the right front, behind the headlight, I found what appeared to be some sort of smog or air mixture devices. Looking closer, I found the vacuum lines to be cracked and aged/weathered. I bought 4mm vacuum hose and replaced each end (less than a foot of hose). From there on, it starts much better, rough idle is gone, no stalling, and accellerates very nicely now.

It's worth a try to look and very inexpensive fix. Hope this helps.
Get a repair estimate
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide.
Or interested in getting a repair? Find a Shop

The car runs rough , when the reduce engine power , the traction light and the engine light comes on ,engine light...
The lunging occurs while in idle and now the engine light is on and car is not safe to drive.