Car Questions
RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

How can you tell what piston rod goes to the cap?

(1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee)
in New Castle, IN on August 04, 2013
I have changed all the pistons and forgot to number the rod and caps. I got to the 5th cly and it moved free by hand I put the last cyl in and it will not move by hand what could be wrong?
Displaying 3 answers & 0 comments
Popular Answer
on August 05, 2013
You may now need to get an engine machine shop to recondition all the rods, this will include the caps! Is the crank in GOOD shape, if not suggest having it machined as well, if not done already. There will never be a better time to get this right!!
of Greg's Orange Auto on August 05, 2013
on August 05, 2013
you should have marked the caps when you took then off .did you put new rod bearings in it if so did you plastigauge them to check the clearance?
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more

Similar Questions

View answers to similar questions from RepairPal's community of auto experts and enthusiasts.
This past summer I purchased a 2000 Jeep Gr Cherokee Laredo with 89,000 miles. As the temperatures got colder I noti...
Oil pressure is low at idle then increases as rpm goes up 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee 175,000 mi. 6 cyl. problem just st...
Didn't find what you were looking for?